Help I have a NASTY tank

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
      This has been ongoing with my Oscar fish. First a few weeks ago he
      developed minor Hole IN The Head. It wasn't bad and I am treating it
      with medications.
      Well today I woke up and couldn't see my fish through whatever slime
      and stinky nastiness is in the water. I did like a 90% water change
      added aquarium salt and the parasite medication and dechlor. I cleaned
      out the filters. Added fresh water and it didn't help but only and
      maybe by 40%.
      It still stinks horrible and is slimey water.
      HELP!! what do I do next to fix this.
      It's 1 Oscar in a 55 gallon.
      I'm about ready to clean out the whole thing, throw everything away and
      start over with new fish if I can't fix this soon.
      Please help.

      Sharon in Minnesota
    • Dora Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
        I think that one or both of two things is going on.

        1. The fish is sick because of a water quality issue. Overnight the water quality issue blew up. No matter what fish get sick with, they are far more likely to if stressed by a water quality problem.

        2. The chemicals you treated the fish with upset your bacterial cycling. Your tank needs friendly bacteria to process wastes, and if they are destroyed, the wastes and toxic nitrogen substances build up in the water. These are also toxic to the fish. That is what you have a filter with filter media for. Gravel have some of that bacteria - but only on the surface where oxygen can get to them. The friendly bacteria can not live without plentiful oxygen.

        Now it matters a great deal what color cloudy is the water and what is smells of.

        If it smells of rotten eggs, get teh fish out of there pronto and into fresh water. Anaerobic bacteria - those that thrive where there is little oxygen - ahve built up, probably under the gravel, or possibly in the filter, and gassed the tank with deady sulfur dioxide gas. If that happened you might see black in the gravel or in the water as well. You're going to have to deep clean the gravel at the very least - with a good siphon. . Don't know if you have to start over, but if you've had chemicals in the tank and didn't take out the filter media it is possible that you may as well - but others are likely to know more on that.

        I avoid this problem by siphoning to the bottom of all the gravel including under the plastic plants, which I then re-seat, once a week. This runs oxygenated water through the gravel as well as deep cleaning it, and turns it over somewhat. I have a 20 gallon. People with bigger aquariums often do half of the aquarium at a time.

        Now, if it just smells unpleasant and looks white, it has a bacterial bloom, and you do gradual thorough gravel cleaning and water changes to straighten it out. Ultimately it usually has to straighten itself out.

        I'm not an expert on how to treat hole in head disease. My fish have not developed any contagious disease since I got my tank cycled and learned how to care for it many months ago. However if they did develop something I would have to ask on these lists how to treat it without throwing off my bacterial cycling. It's often very tricky. Sometimes the fish respond to fairly minor and relatively nontoxic measures, once you have their water quality issues fixed, but I don't know about hole in head disease. One thing, though. I'd research it and not just use what someone in the pet store hands you.

        Yours,
        Dora Smith
        Austin, TX
        tiggernut24@...

      • Cheapeeper@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2009
          I believe it's a bacterial bloom as it was a whitish colored slime. Today the water is clear again as I cleaned it yesterday and did like a 90% water change and siphoned the gravel at that time.
          I do still plan on doing another water change tomorrow again anyways. Besides all that I am treating the OSCAR with Parsite medication for Hole in the Head. In the main tank due to the only other hospital tank I have is a 10 gallon and it would be cruel to put him in that.
          Whatever was going on yesterday seems to be getting better today since the water is clear again today.
          Tomorrow I am again changing about 50% of the water, retreating with the last of the parasite medication and then on Tuesday i believe I do another 25% water change with no medication other than dechlor and I will then add back in the Carbon filters.
          Hopefully that will have fixed the 2 problems. 1 being the Nasty water, 2 being the Hole in the Head.
          I will keep everyone posted.

          Thanks Sharon

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 25, 2009
            Isolate the Oscar in a bucket for 2 days, keep treating it. Clean the whole tank out and start over.