Tetra Test Kit---Laborett

  • bill1433
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009
      I have been using this kit for about 3 months and discovered something
      strange about it.  When doing a pH test, after add the agent I put the cap on
      the vile and shook it-------------the results changed!  Now it does not say to shake the vile for this particular test in the instructions BUT why would the results be so different?

      My normal pH (if you can call it that) is 5.5.  When I shook the vile I got a reading of 8.0!  Has this happened to anyone else using this kit?
       Bill

    • William
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2009
        The chemicals have to mix with the water to get a good result, if you
        do not shake it the water and chemicals will not mix but when you do
        mix it it will give a better reading as long as the chemicals are not
        too old. Sometimes test kits will set on a LFS shelf for a long time
        before it is sold and may be old before you get it.

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, bill1433

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2009
          --- On Tue, 1/20/09, bill1433 <warrenprint@...> wrote:
          > When doing a pH test, after add the agent I put the cap on
          > the vile and shook it-------------the results changed!

          Are you testing your tank water or are you testing tap water?