Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Undergravel filters, air pumps, backgrounds and advice on filters

  • blue_lkb
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
      > Still another choice is if you can figure out how to put an
      extension "lip" on your tank so that you can raise the filter you
      have up higher, this allowing you to raise your water level. You
      could probably clamp or screw on a piece of thick plastic or board
      onto the existing lip, that allows your existing filter to mount a
      couple inches higher.

      I think I might try to do this rather than replace it. If that
      doesn't work, I'll probably eventually replace it.

      I have another problem now, though - the light on top the tank burned
      out, so my husband went to find a new one for me (I was gone for 2
      days, visiting my mom with my brother, and then taking my brother to
      the airport to fly home) and he finally found one the same length and
      wattage, but thicker in diameter. He said he put it in and it burned
      out right away, so he went back to the store and got another - but
      now the light won't work at all. He doesn't have a tester to check
      and see if there is still a current going through it or not, so now
      we're not sure what's wrong with it.

      Any ideas? He did say there is a little fuse on it, and he took it
      off and took it in to the hardware store and they checked it and said
      that part is fine. Sooo...I'm not at all sure if it's just completely
      shot or if there's something that can be done. Hopefully it can be
      fixed.

      On a brighter note, my new heaters should be here tomorrow, and my
      plan was to hook up the heater and then buy some new fish on Saturday
      and quarantine them in this tank, and eventually add them to my 55
      gallon tank. Now I have to wait until we get the light
      fixed...bummer! Ha. I am so impatient!

      Best regards,

      Laura
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
        --- On Fri, 1/2/09, blue_lkb <blue_lkb@...> wrote:
        > I have another problem now, though - the light on top the
        > tank burned out, so my husband went to find a new one for
        > me and he finally found one the same length and
        > wattage, but thicker in diameter.

        Are we talking about a normal tube fluorescent lamp? How long it is? What are the marking on the end (e.g. F18... etc.)

        > it burned out right away, so he went back to the store
        > and got another - but now the light won't work at all.

        Bad ballast perhaps?

        > Any ideas? He did say there is a little fuse on it, and he
        > took it off and took it in to the hardware store and they
        > checked it and said that part is fine.

        Fuse? Where was this mounted? Is it a little metal can looking thing? Usually fluorescent fixture do NOT come with a fuse.

        > On a brighter note, my new heaters should be here tomorrow,
        > and my
        > plan was to hook up the heater and then buy some new fish
        > on Saturday
        > and quarantine them in this tank, and eventually add them
        > to my 55
        > gallon tank. Now I have to wait until we get the light
        > fixed...bummer! Ha. I am so impatient!

        Why wait for the light? You can still do everything without the light. Might be a little dim, but the fish won't care.