ich

  • angelandchase49@aim.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2008
      have been treating my goldfish for ich even though only one has it am treating all as ihave no way to isolate the one who actually has it. It is looking alot betterbut its tail is looking a bit chewed up. have been treating the ich with stuff bought from a store turns water blue not sure what the med is called but says it is for ich removal. The ick is almost gone now.? I do plan on getting a new filter prob have to anyways since the old one has the ick virus(?) on it. and don't want to reintroduce the ich back into the tank.? how long past no signs of ich do i need to treat? Also at the fish store where i got the stuff from had a gold fish that had a white cottony like spot over its eye. Whas that ich that i saw or what was it?

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2009
        --- On Tue, 12/30/08, angelandchase49@... wrote:
        > have been treating my goldfish for ich even though only one
        > has it am treating all as ihave no way to isolate the one
        > who actually has it.

        Right, you have to do it that way. Ich, once discovered in a tank, needs to have the whole tank treated or else it will just reoccur on any fish you remove and put back later or soon show up on any that doesn't already show signs.

        > have been treating the ich with stuff bought from a store turns
        > water blue not sure what the med is called but says it is for ich
        > removal. The ick is almost gone now.? I do plan on getting a
        > new filter prob have to anyways since the old one has the ick
        > virus(?) on it. and don't want to reintroduce the ich back into the
        > tank.?

        No need for a new filter. Ich is NOT a virus or a bacteria but instead is a parasite. Once you treat the tank and get rid of the ich, it will be gone and you do not need to throw out the filter or replace the gravel or anything of that sort.

        > how long past no signs of ich do i need to treat?

        Generally you should treat for ich for a solid week but at the very least keep treating for a few days after the last spot disappear off your fish. If the tank is unheated it takes longer. Warm tanks treat faster because the life cycle of ich is faster. You can also treat ich by slowly raising the tank temperature over a couple of days to about 86+°F as ich is fairly intolerance of warm water in the 80's and above. Goldfish can handle the medication but some fish are very sensative to ich medications and are better treated with the "heat" method.

        > Also at the fish store where i got the stuff from had a gold
        > fish that had a white cottony like spot over its eye. Whas
        > that ich that i saw or what was it?

        No not ich. Ich is not fungus looking but instead looks like little hard white pimples as if there are bits of salt stuck to the fish. Cottony growth is a fungus and is usually a secondary infection to an injury (scratch, bite, sore, etc.) and is often the result of the injust or sore coupled with poor water conditions and/or poor nuitrition.