Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Tanks, neon vs cardinal tetras, etc

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2008
      --- On Mon, 12/22/08, blue_lkb <blue_lkb@...> wrote:
      > I really like the looks of the cardinal tetras but have read
      > that they are not as hardy as the neons. Also, I read that
      > they need a lower pH (around 7, if I remember correctly??)
      > and mine is around 8. Would that cause problems for those
      > types of fish?

      I have never kept cardinals. I did try neons once and they did fine in my ~7.6 to 7.8 pH water.

      I *think* that Neons are generally farm bred while cardinals are still wild caught. So Neons may be a little more hardy simply because they are used to captive conditions and maybe harder water. Cardinals come out of the soft Amazon waters. I am not sure if Neons are mainly bred in Florida or the Far East. In general, Florida fish farms use hard, higher pH water so fish that are bred there tend to do fine in that water. In the far east, they may use much softer lower pH water. Farms can not afford to be treating 1000s of gallons of water to breed 99-cent fish, so they breed what they can in the water they have, as is.

      > Any other suggestions for colorful (preferably at least some what
      > hardy:) fish would be great! I've been reading a lot about different
      > types of fish again, trying to decide what I want.

      For smaller, active, non-shy, pretty, & hardy fish I have always had good luck with Glo-light tetras (they have a bright orange neon stripe that in the store will NOT look great but once settled into your tank, will brighten up considerably). White Cloud Mountain minnows, especially for unheated tanks.

      Neon Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia praecox - are great fish however I don't recommend them for anything less than about 20 gallons with a 30-gallon being the preferred min size. But the males are beautiful and these are ones where you do NOT have to have more females (a little drab) than males.

    • blue_lkb
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2008
        Thanks for the info on the neons vs cardinals. Good to know.

        > For smaller, active, non-shy, pretty, & hardy fish I have always
        had good luck with Glo-light tetras (they have a bright orange neon
        stripe that in the store will NOT look great but once settled into
        your tank, will brighten up considerably).

        I looked them up and they look like pretty little fish.

        > Neon Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia praecox - are great fish however I
        don't recommend them for anything less than about 20 gallons with a
        30-gallon being the preferred min size. But the males are beautiful
        and these are ones where you do NOT have to have more females (a
        little drab) than males.

        Thanks for the suggestion.

        Best regards,

        Laura