2 gallon tank w/undergravel filter - good or bad?

  • blue_lkb
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hi all,

      First off, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! We went to my mom's
      house for dinner and it was really yummy. :)

      I happened across a 2 gallon fish tank (it's a Garfield fish tank -
      his belly is the tank) that I thought was really cute and I thought
      might look be nice to have on my desk when I'm studying. However, I
      haven't heard good things about undergravel filters, so I'm not sure.
      Any thoughts on that aspect?

      Also, I'm curious, what would you put in a tank this size? I was
      thinking if it's too small for a betta (obviously I'd put a really
      small heater in to keep the water at a stable temp) maybe I could put
      a few ghost shrimp or ?

      Just a thought...but I wanted to ask here before I commit to buying
      it. Here's what it looks like:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/GARFIELD-2-GALLON-FISH-
      TANK_W0QQitemZ110319838834QQihZ001QQcategoryZ8610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrd
      Z1QQcmdZViewItem
      (This isn't the one I'm considering purchasing, but it's exactly what
      it looks like).

      Thanks!

      Best regards,

      Laura
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
        Under Gravel Filters (UGF) at one time were all the rage where if you didn't have one, you weren't doing it right. but these days, UGFs are simply another choice, neither being the wonder filter nor being terrible either. The sort of rank up there with box filters and sponge filters. You don't see those much anymore, but they still can be effective filtering in the right setup.

        My personal preference is I don't use them with the exception of a one-gallon tank I had running for years that no other filter type, at the time, would fit in well and still look good. I just this year replaced that tank with a small 2.5 gallon tank (it is on my kitchen counter) and I run a tiny Azoo power filter on it. For that tank I am keeping it unheated and holds a handful of little feeder guppies.

        For any tank that comes with an under gravel filter setup, you can simply choose not to use it if you don't want to. Small tanks like that can be run unfiltered. Stock them lightly and change water often (half weekly or a big cup full daily to water your plants with) and you won't have issues.

        2-gallons is plenty for a betta. As I said in my tank, cheap feeder guppies are a great way to add color and movement to a small tank and have a few fish (my 2.5g has 7 guppies and they look proportionately about the same size as 7 neons in a ten gallon tank). I have kept White Cloud Mountain minnows in my one gallon tank and they bred for me!