have a question about plants

  • angelandchase49@aim.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2008
      How many would one put in a 10 gal tank?

    • rbfeik
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2008
        I would say no more than 1/3 of the tank space should be given to
        plants. As far as number of plants that depends on final size and
        light requirements - be sure to get plants that won't get too big for
        your tank.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2008
          I think a lot of Plant tank enthusiasts would say the opposite, and probably have no more than 1/3 of the tank left as open space.  :)

          I would say no more than 1/3 of the tank space should be given to

          plants. As far as number of plants that depends on final size and

          light requirements - be sure to get plants that won't get too big for

          your tank.

          _,_._,___

        • Dora Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2008
            One of my flame tetras has dark spots behind its gills that have never been
            there before and aren't on any of the other fish. They are in the same
            location on each side, and they look rather like ulcers. One is more pink
            than the others which are very dark.

            http://community.webshots.com/album/568662392CwMcMP#

            Fish had a serious issue with letting me photograph both sides.

            I put two slightly impure gneiss rocks from the family house in the Southern
            Adirondacks in the tank two days ago in place of the two sick looking rusty
            white quartz, so I checked all the water parameters carefully. They all
            appear to be fine.

            Ammonia - as close to 0 as I've ever seen it. The color was actually
            yellow.

            Nitrites - 0. As usual. It has always taken an Act of God for the
            nitrites to rise in my tank, and a new bottle of test solution made no
            difference.
            Nitrates between 5 and 10.

            GH between 8 and 9, as usual - compared to between 7 and 8 for the tap
            water. (They seriously soften the tap water here.)

            KH 3, as usual, compared to 4 for the tap water.

            pH pretty much normal, but I was getting consistently inconsistent results
            with my high range, normal range and wide range test solutions, and,
            strangely, the newly prepared water in the bucket that's had air bubbled
            through it was much lower ph than usual. I dumped it out on the lawn; Lord
            knows what's up with that. pH of teh water out of the tap actually varies
            between 9.0 and 8.4. When I tested it, the high range showed between 8,4
            and 9.0 and definitely under 9.0, and the wide range showed atleast 9.0.

            I scrubbed the rocks with dish washer detergent, soaked them in chlorox,
            scrubbed them with bleach scouring powder, and then boiled them, before
            putting them in the tank. My sister picked them up outside the house, and
            not from a body of water.

            I need to know what the fish is likely suffering from and what medication to use how.

            Yours,
            Dora Smith
            Austin, TX
            tiggernut24@...
            ----- Original

          • Tom Reagin
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
              I have tanks with minimal plants to tanks with 100% of substrate covered with tanks and tanks with over 50% of water displaced by plants.  I don't like either extreme.

              Tom

              Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
              104 Church Street
              Decatur, GA 30030

              Voice (404)378-3694
              Fax (404)373-0741

            • William
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2008
                While you may not like the looks of your tanks other people may love
                them. In my breeding tanks of small fish I try to get as much pants
                cover as I can to provide food (in the form of infusoria and other
                small plants and animals) as well as hiding places for the young. It
                may not look great to not be able to see the fish but when the young
                are large enough I will put them in another tank to grow out before I
                either give them away or sell them. Without this heavy plant growth I
                probably would not be able to save may baby fish for these smaller
                species and there fore would have lost the species (unless I bought
                more).It gives me an excuse to get down and observe the tank up close
                to see what is going on.I can tell if there is something going on
                that needs taking care of instead of waiting until it happens and is
                too late to correct.

                --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Tom Reagin <tgreagin@...>