Rescued Tank-NEED HELP!

  • lorenerohloff
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
      I rescued a 20hi from someone who couldnt be bothered to care for their
      pets. It had a whisper 10i filter in it with about 1/2 inch of YUCK on
      the filter media. The tank currently is holding an 8 inch dragon fish
      (would love to know the type, its an olive green/brownish body with an
      orange colored underbelly) It also has a Rainbow fish and a (approx) 6
      inch pleco. The person was feeding the fish exclusively on bloodworms,
      and glassworms(frozen). When the tank was given to me, we changed like
      90% of the water (couldnt see through it!) and left the filter as is as
      I didnt want a cycling emergency. 6 days later the water was still
      registering a moderate amount of ammonia. I then changed the water
      again yesterday (about 30-40%) and added some fully cycled aquarium
      sand and the water is still quite cloudy! I used to keep aquariums
      years and years ago so I have some knowledge but have forgotten much.
      Please help!
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi,

        Well so far so good. The only thing I would have suggested you NOT do, was change 90% of the water initially, but it has been done and so far the animals seem ok?

        First thing I would do is get a bucket of water that is de-chlorinated, take the filter cartridge and give is a good rinse in there. Bang it around, knock off some of the muck. Then put it back in the tank. The filter cartridge likely needs to be replaced, but lets get some muck off, get a little water flowing through it and see if that helps the ammonia a bit.

        For now I would continue with smaller (20%-40% water changes weekly or a gallon or two every day for a week) until things start to clear up.

        Sounds like some (all?) of those fish need a larger tank. So now you may want to start to think about it and to decide, do you want to give them away? See if a local store will take them? Or start looking for a larger tank?

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          sounds like a perfect job for a diatom filter
          ah
          good old vortex
          I love those things

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick A. Timlin"

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
            Unless the cloudiness is due to a bacteria bloom, which it might be considering the ammonia reading and bioload on the tank. I don't think a diatom filter will work for that type of cloudiness.