Snails hitched a ride on plants - should I keep them?

  • blue_lkb
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2008
      It seems that along with the several hornwort plants I got, came
      several small (tiny) black snails. I'm not sure what type of snail
      they are, though. Just tiny and black. Will these be okay in my fish
      tank or should I take them out?

      (I have zebra danios, cherry barb, black Kuhli loaches, cory cats, and
      a male betta). I'm not too worried that the snails will get eaten
      (don't seem to have so far, anyhow, and they've been there a few
      weeks), just want to make sure they won't harm my fish.

      Thoughts?

      Best regards,

      Laura
    • Liz M
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        Shouldn't hurt the fish, but you may want to get rid of them if you want to keep your plants.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
          My grandson and I have an aquarium for local fish which we catch in road ditches, creeks and streams.  We have caught small black snails, which have not harmed the tank or fish.  We don't have live plants and the snails feed on the tank sides.  However they are prolific breeders and may overrun your aquarium.

          Good luck, Mike

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
            I bought some plants from my lfs and got snail hitch a ride on mine
            too! I've heard that if you buy new plants you should dip them in
            ice water for a min to kill off anything that may be hitching a ride
            on them.

            They didn't bother my fish at all but what started off as 3 cute
            little snails turned into about 30 within a week. I purchased a
            clown loach to eat them! Cute fish and no more snails!

            Good luck!

            Cindy

            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Mike Riney
            <mike.riney@...> wrote:

            > My grandson and I have an aquarium for local fish which we catch
            in road ditches, creeks and streams.  We have caught small black
            snails, which have not harmed the tank or fish.  We don't have live
            plants and the snails feed on the tank sides.  However they are
            prolific breeders and may overrun your aquarium.

            > Good luck, Mike

          • blue_lkb
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
              Thanks everyone. Looks like I will be fishing out some snails then. I
              had noticed that there were suddenly more than the original 1 or 2, but
              wasn't sure if they reproduced that quickly or I just hadn't noticed
              them to begin with. Prolific little guys, I guess.

              Just curious, what do they do to the plants? Do they affect them
              negatively in some way?

              And thanks for the tip on how to get rid of any hitchhikers before
              putting future plants in the tank! Will do.

              Best regards,

              Laura
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
                It really depends on the snail species, but in general the smaller snails do not tend to harm plants at all. The larger rams horn ones (the really big ones you can buy in the pet store) are notorious plant eaters and with the various "Apple" snail species you can buy it can be hit or miss which type you get and if they eat plants or not. But the small hitchhikers generally do not harm plants.

                For more info on snail control, see this old article of mine...
                http://geocities.com/ptimlin/snail_faq.html