Hi, I'm new here

  • cheeseymicron03
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2008
      Hi, I am new here. I have a 2.5 gallon tank with two goldfish.... yes I
      know its too small! I have a 35 gallon cycling right now. Anyway, we
      have two fancy tailed goldfish and Sprinkles (the big spotted one) has
      a huge belly but has been like that for a while. I just wanted to see
      if anyone else thought this was something to worry about.

      Also, the tank that is cycling used to be a salt water tank. The person
      I got it from said that it had been dry for a while so to just wash it
      with water and it would be fine. Is this true? I hate to put our fish
      in there and any salt that may still be in there hurt them.

      I put my photos in the album titles cheesey photos.
    • Andrew

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 17, 2008
            --- On Wed, 9/17/08, cheeseymicron03 <cheese911@...> wrote:
            > two fancy tailed goldfish and Sprinkles (the big spotted one) has
            > a huge belly but has been like that for a while. I just wanted to
            > see if anyone else thought this was something to worry about.

            From the photos, they look ok to me. Are they eating normally? Are they pooping normally?

            > Also, the tank that is cycling used to be a salt water tank.
            > The person I got it from said that it had been dry for a
            > while so to just wash it with water and it would be fine.
            > Is this true? I hate to put our fish in there and any salt
            > that may still be in there hurt them.

            Sound fine to me. They should be perfectly happy in the new tank and what little bit of salt residue that might be left over will be completely diluted by all the freshwater.

          • cheeseymicron03
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 17, 2008
              I dont know which kind of goldfish they are, just the cheaper kind.
              It was a spur of the moment purchase. I dont remember sprinkles
              having the big belly forever, but maybe who knows. She did have cream
              colored poo the other day which its normally black.

              With my tank, the only thing that was salt water was the actual tank.
              We purchased the filter and gravel new. I dont want to loose my
              current fish so I am trying to cycle with "Cycle". Has anyone used
              this product before? how long should I keep it going before adding
              the fish? I ordered my master test kit online but it isnt in yet.
              Thanks so much for all the responses!

              --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, anita <dublrotn@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 18, 2008
                i never cycle more than 24 hrs and i have only lost a fish or 2 in 20 yrs of keeping