Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] This is insane...

  • Tom Reagin
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
      I think I am running 17 tanks, probably have 20.  My wife is not thrilled about it!

      Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
      104 Church Street
      Decatur, GA 30030

      Voice (404)378-3694
      Fax (404)373-0741

    • jim betts
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
        I'm the same way but instead of fish I spend a fortune in plants.

        I started out with three tanks when I first got married but decided to switch to a 20 long when we started having kids. Kids really dictate how much time you can spend on your hobbies. Eventually, all of my tanks ended up with a lot of the same plants and fish anyway so I migrated all of my stuff to my largest (now way too small) 20 gal.

        Now when I go into my local fish store I go straight to the planted tanks to see what's new. I need to upgrade to a 55 gal. when my youngest leaves pre-school so I can invest in bigger plants and a new lighting system.

        I have the same problem with bonsai. Once you realize that any plant with a woody stem is a candidate, the fever seems to take over and you tend to snip and pluck every tree in your garden. But that's for a different forum.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2008
          --- On Mon, 8/4/08, jim betts <bettsjw@...> wrote:
          > I need to upgrade to a 55 gal.

          Hi Jim,

          Just thought I would throw in a thought on this to consider. Instead of a 55g, look into 75 gallon tanks. The advantage of a 55 gallon is that they are one of the more mass produced sizes so tend to be cheaper per gallon.

          But I often recommend 75g tanks over 55 gallon tanks because from the front, they are the same size as the 55g (4 foot long and 21" high) and the main difference is they are just an addition 6-inches deeper from front to back.

          Usually when looking for a spot to put a new tank, the main restriction is linear space along a wall. But once you have found 4-feet to put a 55 gallon tank, usually having the tank stick out from the wall another 6-inches for the 75g is not a big deal. Yet you get more than a third more gallons and more importantly about 45% more surface area. Surface area, not gallons, is what really determines bioloading of a tank.

          A 90-gallon is the exact same foot print as a 75g just taller, but I don't normally recommend these because since they have the same surface area, they don't offer any additional bioloading over a 75g and they are tall enough that for many people, being able to reach into the tank and get to the bottom can be a problem (slightly over two feet from top to bottom). However, the advantage of a 90 gallon is that it gives you more room for things like rock structures and walls (for reef tanks or cichlids tanks) or in your case, for being able to grow very tall plants.

          So if you can spare an additional 6-inched out from the wall, seriously consider going right to a 75g (or maybe 90g) over the 55 gallon. I think you will find the relatively narrow front to back depth of a 55g (less than 13") to be a bit limiting.

        • blue_lkb
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
            Well, I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only one who has gotten
            really obsessed with this hobby. :) My sister came to visit Thursday
            (she's several years younger than me at 18) and she was not terribly
            impressed...lol! Just told me I'd gone completely overboard with the
            whole fish thing! Her friend informed me that I clearly needed a puppy
            or some other form of pet. :)

            Oh well, I guess if you're not into the whole aquarium thing, it might
            seem like overkill, but once you get hooked, man, you just want to
            keep buying and setting up aquariums! lol.

            Best regards,

            Laura