Re: Got it!

  • blue_lkb
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 8:02 PM
      Hi,

      I just looked up the clown pleco, and they look really neat! With the
      size of our tank (according to a gallon calculator on fishlore.com,
      it should be 23 gallons), would a clown pleco be the only fish we'd
      be able to keep in it?

      I was thinking about getting a smaller type of cichlid (they had some
      really lovely ones at Petsmart that I was looking at) to go along
      with it in my tank, *if* they are compatible/there is enough space.
      According to what I read in the store on the tank, that cichlid (I
      believe it was blue/yellow, but don't remember the name) only gets to
      be about 4.5". I am trying to find info online to verify that.

      > Someone at the pet store has no clue about water chemistry!

      Glad I didn't listen to her, then, as she was advising me to get a
      product to get rid of the ammonia, saying it would also lower the pH.
      I was skeptical... :)

      I'll have to measure the tap water to see what it is straight from
      the sink.

      Thanks!

      Best regards,

      Laura
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
        --- On Thu, 7/31/08, blue_lkb <blue_lkb@...> wrote:
        > I just looked up the clown pleco, and they look really neat!
        > With the size of our tank (according to a gallon calculator
        > on fishlore.com, it should be 23 gallons), would a clown pleco
        > be the only fish we'd be able to keep in it?

        No, they are not big fish and at least during the day they are pretty inactive. At night they are more active. These are pretty shy fish and will likely hide all day long. So they are often not seen in home tanks. I have a pair of them in a 30 gallon tank and I only see them because I know their hiding places and can peak in and check on them once in a while. Otherwise, they are rarely out when the tank lights are on. They do a pretty good job on algae as well. I still have to clean my front glass in the tank every week or so, but all the wood in my tank is spotless. Oh and they do best with chunks of wood both to feed algae off of and also to hide under. Pipe fitting half buried in the gravel, broken small flower pots, etc. will also be used to hide under (both of which are in this tank too) but I find they seem to prefer to hang out under the wood.

        > I was thinking about getting a smaller type of cichlid (they had some
        > really lovely ones at Petsmart that I was looking at) to go along
        > with it in my tank, *if* they are compatible/there is enough space.
        > According to what I read in the store on the tank, that cichlid (I
        > believe it was blue/yellow, but don't remember the name) only gets to
        > be about 4.5". I am trying to find info online to verify that.

        Ya you really need to find out what cichlid it is specifically and post back here. Cichlids can be bad news if you get and get the wrong mix going in a tank. But many are relatively peaceful, especially if kept with appropriate tank mates. For example, Kribs are great community fish that do well in most water conditions (vs. Rams, for example, that are also great community fish, but can be very fussy with regards to water liking it soft and acidic and often do not do well long term in harder or high pH water).

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
            Hi Patrick,

            I just looked up the cichlid you mentioned, the Krib, and it
            looks/sounds pretty neat. So one of those and a Clown Pleco would be
            fine in the hex tank?

            Well, the cichlid I saw in Petsmart was an Acei Cichlid, and I just
            looked it up and the info I found said they actually get up to 7",
            not 4.5", so I'm guessing it'd be too big for our tank.

            I also noticed some Black Kuhli Loaches at Petsmart and thought they
            looked really cool, so I'm thinking of getting some once I start
            stocking my 55 gal. tank. However, I see they need sand, not gravel,
            or at least smooth stones. Welll...my tank is set up, full of water,
            and running, and I already have gravel in. Is there any good way to
            get it back out and add the sand?

            Thanks again for such great info!

            Best regards,

            Laura
          • blue_lkb
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
              Hi,

              Thanks for the info. :) So I'll just have to make sure to bubble air
              through the water for a few hours before I change it, and it should be
              fine?

              How do you alter hard or soft water?

              Best regards,

              Laura
            • Deenerz@aol.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Ah back from the weekend so catching up on group posts...

                  --- On Fri, 8/1/08, blue_lkb <blue_lkb@...> wrote:
                  > I just looked up the cichlid you mentioned, the Krib, and it
                  > looks/sounds pretty neat. So one of those and a Clown Pleco
                  > would be fine in the hex tank?

                  Probably. The only issue is the Kribs are bottom dwelling fish for the most part so do a bit better in longer tanks with a lot of ground space, but then again they also tend to pick a spot (cave) to call their own and mostly hang out there.

                  And the Pleco, as I mentioned before, will mostly hide under something most of the day. So that may leave your tall Hex tank looking a bit empty, especially with nothing swimming around the surface and middle area.

                  I think a Clown Pleco and a pair or trio of Kribs would probably get along great in your Hex, but they wouldn't be my choice for a hex for the reason I mentioned above.

                  > I also noticed some Black Kuhli Loaches at Petsmart and thought they
                  > looked really cool, so I'm thinking of getting some once I start
                  > stocking my 55 gal. tank. However, I see they need sand, not gravel,
                  > or at least smooth stones.

                  My personal experience with Kuhlis is that if you have lots of hiding places and/or plants in your tank so they can move about while always being under a plant or near somethign to duck under, they will tend to spend a lot of time out moving about looking for food. Tanks without much cover at all, will cause the Kuhlis to be very spooked and stay hiding almost all the time. I set up a ten gallon tank especially with Kuhliis in mind that had a sand substrate, a LOT of small bits of water logged wood scattered all over the bottom, and then lots of plants especially java moss. My kuhlis actually never buried themselved in the sand since there was plenty of ground cover to lurk under. They seemed very happy with the setup. So gravel would be fine as long as you provide lots of places to lurk under and around and do not have lots of open area that will make them uncomfortable.

                  > Welll...my tank is set up, full of water, and running,
                  > and I already have gravel in. Is there any good way to
                  > get it back out and add the sand?

                  I wouldn't bother switching it over. As I said, get some Java Moss and "debris" for the bottom and Kuhli loaches will will be just fine. Want to know where I got all my wood for that tank? A playground! This was some time ago when my daughter was young enough to like playgrounds. I was at one that has the typical deep gravel landscaping. but the nearby trees were surrounded by a border and heavily mulched with the more wood chip kind of mulch (rather than softer more expensive wood bark mulch. Anyway, I notices a lot of the larger chunks of wood from the mulch, say about thumb size up to 2xThumb sized chunks were scattered around on the gravel, probably from kids running through it. Since the ground was gravel covered and therefore excellent drainage, the wood sat on top of the gravel and have been washed clean by rain and no rotting, basically just like driftwood on the beach. In essence, it was like having a ton of little tiny pieces of driftwood
                  everywhere.

                  So I got a grocery bag and brought it with me next time and collected a bunch of that wood. I soaked it in the ten gallon in my basement for weeks until they water logged and sank. I then set that ten gallon up in my daughter's room, uses cheap landscape store sand for the bottom, layered the wood all over and added plants. Then a trio of kuhli loaches and later other fish. It worked out very nice.

                  Cheers,