Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Update: question about Dwarf Gouramis in community tank

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2008
      Hey! I didn't even get a chance to reply to your last post. Anyway...

      --- On Tue, 7/22/08, Suezanne Law <sympawtico@...> wrote:
      > we set up a new 16-gallon bow-front tank using 10 gallons of
      > water from the 55 gallon established tank.

      Sounds like a nice tank. Those little bow fronts are cool.

      > (is this kind of like the "middle-management" squabbles
      > that dogs have when a leader is moved out of a
      > family group and the dynamics change?).

      Exactly. As I said, males really are lonely souls and do not care for other males period. Previously these two kept plenty busy avoiding bluey, now with him gone, one of them decided to be the top dog and pick on the left over one.

      > So, do we need to give up on having
      > two gouramis in the 55 gallon?

      Well maybe. I suspect the main issue is that there are probably lots of lines of sight across the whole tank, so no matter where they are they can probably spot each other. Perhaps if you bought a bunch of tall fake plants and broke up the lines of sight, they might be tolerant of each other since they wouldn't care about the other as long as they are not in sight.

      > We can take one back to the
      > store and get a
      > small school (about 6-7 inches of fish, to replace Blue and
      > Stripey) of
      > hardy, peaceful tetras to fill out the aquarium again.
      > Thoughts?

      That might be the best thing. But if you really want to try keeping both of them, then go for the heavy planting and see if that helps.
    • Suezanne Law
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2008
        On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Patrick A. Timlin <ptimlin@...>wrote:

        > Hey! I didn't even get a chance to reply to your last post. Anyway...

        Whoops, sorry Patrick! We felt we had a bit of an urgent situation going
        on! Anyway, we've traded the stripey guy in for a small shoal of
        glowlights, and the tank has suddenly become very zen. Thanks for your
        replies!

        Suezanne M. Law
        Sympawtico Dog Training, LLC

        "Living well together."
        www.sympawtico.com
        www.dog101productions.com
        www.dogsandstorks.com
        Lenexa, KS

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2008
          I have always loved Glowlights. Great fish. Active, colorful, and not at all shy, so perfect filler fish to give a tank an active yet calm look with lots of fish swimming around without concern.