RE: [Freshwater Aquariums] New member intro and questions

  • Laurie French
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 27 3:50 PM
      HiI am new at all of this too, but I can tell you I have a 12 gallon tank and I took the slow route! I had the tank set up for about 3 days and I went and bought two small black fin something or others,lol, I cant remember their name UGGGG. I had them for about a week, and I bought two dalmation mollies (a baby was stuck in the net and they gave it to me and to my amazement its surviving!!! so I really have 3 mollies!) Anyway I have had them about a week now and I trying to decide what to get next. This slow process I am actually enjoying! My daughter is 17 months and she is loving it! I was afraid I would want to be the one to rush it, but I am soo dedicated to the sucess of my tank I am so happy I am letting the cycling go naturally! I will tell you that when I put the first fish in, I knew the tank they were coming from was clean and trouble free for some time, so I put their water in my tank, the second time I did not.
      Hope some of this helps!Laurie FrenchFor animals needing homes: www.petfinder.comwww.neorescue.netwww.youravon.com/lauriefrench

      To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.comFrom: blue_lkb@...: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:36:38 +0000Subject: [Freshwater Aquariums] New member intro and questions

      Hi All!Recently my husband, daughter & I bought two used aquariums, one ten gallon and one that is probably 20-30 gallons (it is hexagonal, 24" tall by 15" across the top). So, now we're getting them set up and deciding what kind of fish to get, so I thought I'd join this group for advice. I've been reading a lot of sites on the internet to get an idea what type of fish would be best and the number to have in each tank.My daughter (3 yrs) had 2 small "feeder" goldfish in a 1 gallon fishbowl (I know, in retrospect, not a good setup for them, so we want to get them into something larger/more suitable), so we're putting those in the ten gallon tank and I was thinking of adding some ghost shrimp and figured that would be enough, since from what I've read you need at least 1 gal. per 1" of fish (for smaller fish, more for larger fish, correct?) and goldfish apparently get rather large so I don't want to put too many and then have them be crowded if the goldfish get much larger very quickly (currently they are about 1-1.5" long). And there is my first question - how fast do goldfish grow? Will they outgrow this tank shortly or will it take awhile?What I'm thinking about so far for the second tank is a male betta, one male dwarf gourami (although I've read mixed reviews - some sites seem to say these fish will be compatible and others say they may not be), and I'm not sure what else. Otherwise, I thought I might get 2-3 female betta and a male dwarf gourami. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any info! I can't wait to get our tanks set up and cycled (the nitrogen cycle, I think it's called?) and ready for fish, and want to make sure we make good choices with whatever we get. Oh, also, can anyone recommend a product to speed up the cycling/building of good bacteria that isn't crazy expensive? Otherwise I guess we will just go the slow route, but thought I'd ask, since I heard of products such as those on other sites but most said they were pretty spendy. Best regards,Laura

    • William
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 27 8:43 PM
        Common goldfish should be in tanks that are at least 100 gallons or
        preferable ponds. the one inch of Gish per gallon should be more like
        take the adult size of the fish and multiply that number by the
        height of the fish in inches (not including the fins), this will give
        you the bare minimum for the number of gallons of water that a fish
        should have. There are exceptions such as neon and cardinal tetras
        that should have at least a 20 gallon tank.

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "blue_lkb" <blue_lkb@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All!
        >
        > Recently my husband, daughter & I bought two used aquariums, one
        ten
        > gallon and one that is probably 20-30 gallons (it is hexagonal, 24"
        > tall by 15" across the top). So, now we're getting them set up and
        > deciding what kind of fish to get, so I thought I'd join this group
        > for advice. I've been reading a lot of sites on the internet to get
        > an idea what type of fish would be best and the number to have in
        > each tank.
        >
        > My daughter (3 yrs) had 2 small "feeder" goldfish in a 1 gallon
        > fishbowl (I know, in retrospect, not a good setup for them, so we
        > want to get them into something larger/more suitable), so we're
        > putting those in the ten gallon tank and I was thinking of adding
        > some ghost shrimp and figured that would be enough, since from what
        > I've read you need at least 1 gal. per 1" of fish (for smaller
        fish,
        > more for larger fish, correct?) and goldfish apparently get rather
        > large so I don't want to put too many and then have them be crowded
        > if the goldfish get much larger very quickly (currently they are
        > about 1-1.5" long). And there is my first question - how fast do
        > goldfish grow? Will they outgrow this tank shortly or will it take
        > awhile?
        >
        > What I'm thinking about so far for the second tank is a male betta,
        > one male dwarf gourami (although I've read mixed reviews - some
        > sites seem to say these fish will be compatible and others say they
        > may not be), and I'm not sure what else. Otherwise, I thought I
        > might get 2-3 female betta and a male dwarf gourami. Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any info! I can't wait to get our tanks set
        up
        > and cycled (the nitrogen cycle, I think it's called?) and ready for
        > fish, and want to make sure we make good choices with whatever we
        > get. Oh, also, can anyone recommend a product to speed up the
        > cycling/building of good bacteria that isn't crazy expensive?
        > Otherwise I guess we will just go the slow route, but thought I'd
        > ask, since I heard of products such as those on other sites but
        most
        > said they were pretty spendy.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Laura

      • William
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 27 9:03 PM
          The one inch of fish for each gallon water should be more like , tank
          the number of gallons of fish in inches (not including the fins and
          multiply that number times the height in inches )(not including the
          fins). This is of the adult size of the fish not the baby size of the
          fish. This means that common goldfish should have at least 100
          gallons per fish or preferably a pond. They will out grow a small
          tank fast even if their out sides do not show it the insides (organs)
          will still grow and slowly kill the fish if they are in a too small
          of a tank. If you have "fancy " goldfish then you should have 20
          gallons of water for the first one and at least 10 gallons for each
          additional
          one.
          On cycling a tank, if you can get some used gravel form a
          healthy tank and put it in your tank (even if you put it in a panty
          hose or some filter floss from a healthy tank you can seek up the
          cycling. Or another way is the "fishless cycling" where you add pure
          ammonia to the tank to feed the bacteria. In any case you should have
          a good ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH test kits to monitor the
          levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will keep adding pure
          ammonia (no additives like perfume) so that each morning you will add
          enough to keep the ammonia level at about 4 to 5 PPM. When the
          ammonia and nitrite are at zero the tank is considered cycled and you
          can put in a full tank of fish after doing a water change to get the
          nitrate level down.

          wrote:

          > Hi All!
          >
          > Recently my husband, daughter & I bought two used aquariums, one
          ten
          > gallon and one that is probably 20-30 gallons (it is hexagonal, 24"
          > tall by 15" across the top). So, now we're getting them set up and
          > deciding what kind of fish to get, so I thought I'd join this group
          > for advice. I've been reading a lot of sites on the internet to get
          > an idea what type of fish would be best and the number to have in
          > each tank.
          >
          > My daughter (3 yrs) had 2 small "feeder" goldfish in a 1 gallon
          > fishbowl (I know, in retrospect, not a good setup for them, so we
          > want to get them into something larger/more suitable), so we're
          > putting those in the ten gallon tank and I was thinking of adding
          > some ghost shrimp and figured that would be enough, since from what
          > I've read you need at least 1 gal. per 1" of fish (for smaller
          fish,
          > more for larger fish, correct?) and goldfish apparently get rather
          > large so I don't want to put too many and then have them be crowded
          > if the goldfish get much larger very quickly (currently they are
          > about 1-1.5" long). And there is my first question - how fast do
          > goldfish grow? Will they outgrow this tank shortly or will it take
          > awhile?
          >
          > What I'm thinking about so far for the second tank is a male betta,
          > one male dwarf gourami (although I've read mixed reviews - some
          > sites seem to say these fish will be compatible and others say they
          > may not be), and I'm not sure what else. Otherwise, I thought I
          > might get 2-3 female betta and a male dwarf gourami. Any thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any info! I can't wait to get our tanks set
          up
          > and cycled (the nitrogen cycle, I think it's called?) and ready for
          > fish, and want to make sure we make good choices with whatever we
          > get. Oh, also, can anyone recommend a product to speed up the
          > cycling/building of good bacteria that isn't crazy expensive?
          > Otherwise I guess we will just go the slow route, but thought I'd
          > ask, since I heard of products such as those on other sites but
          most
          > said they were pretty spendy.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Laura

        • N Taweel
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 28 8:48 AM
            Welcome Laura
            For the 20 g tank, I suggest Tetra Serpae, they grow no longer than 2", they're nicely colored and peaceful.
            Note that it's a schooling fish, they give you their most beauty in a group of 5-6.
            They will stay in the middle of the tank, so the buttom feeders won't bother them, or vs! If you provide live plants, the contrast will be nice.

            Noura

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 29 3:22 PM
              Hi,

              Yes, I have read that goldfish need a lot of water...I guess I was
              hoping they wouldn't grow too quickly. So it looks like our best bet
              is to return the goldfish (we bought them at WalMart - do pet stores
              usually take back fish?) or find them a new home and get a different
              type of fish.

              And thank you for the info on a better way to figure how many fish a
              tank can hold...I wanted to make sure we didn't overstock our tanks.
              So really, a 10 gal. and a 20-30 gal. tank really don't or shouldn't
              hold very many fish, correct?

              Best regards,

              Laura

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 29 4:00 PM
                Hi Noura,

                Thank you for the suggestion. :) I will have to go look for some pics
                of them.

                Best regards,

                Laura

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 29 5:59 PM
                  I don't think Paula was saying they ARE stunted now, but that goldfish kept in smaller than ideal tanks will have stunted growth in the long run.

                  Unfortunately neither of your tanks are suited for goldfish. My general advice for goldfish is a minimum of 20 gallons for a single goldfish and then at least ten gallons more per goldfish. So two goldfish should have at minimum a 30 gallon-long (not a 29-gallon high) tank. And that is if you are talking about fancy breeds or common Shubunkin goldfish. For Comets, those are truly pond fish (as are Koi) and do not really do well in any sized tank.

                  If you truly like the goldfish, I think you could keep them in the ten gallon for a little while if you were willing to upgrade to a larger tank (30+ gallons) later.

                  As to your hex tank. It is about 18 gallons. But hex tanks are tall tanks with out a lot of surface area which limits the amount of gas exchange at the water's surface. Surface area is really the factor that determines how many fish you can put in a tank, not total gallons. Because you can only put as many fish in there to the point where the fish use up of the oxygen in the water faster than it can dissolve in (gasping fish at the surface). In the case of your hex tank, while about 18 gallons, the surface area is only about 177 square inches. Compare that to your 10 gallon which is a 10x20 inch tank and has 200 square inches of surface area. So as you can see, your 18 gallon hex has LESS stocking capacity than your 10 gallon. So be careful.

                  As to fish choice, we could suggest a million different small great fish. Unfortunately we do not know what you local stores carry. So instead you might visit your stores and keep a list of fish you liked and report back and we can then give you our opinion of those choices.

                • blue_lkb
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2008
                    Hi Patrick,

                    > I don't think Paula was saying they ARE stunted now, but that
                    goldfish kept in smaller than ideal tanks will have stunted growth in
                    the long run.

                    Ahh, ok, I guess I misunderstood that. Gotcha. We will definitely be
                    looking to find them a new home, since it sounds like they aren't
                    going to work for our situation (I know, we should have checked it
                    out before buying them). They are, I believe, comet goldfish...if
                    those are the ones I'm thinking of. I know I was online one day
                    trying to find out which type they were.

                    > As to your hex tank. It is about 18 gallons.

                    Oh, bummer, I thought (was hoping!) it was larger. Okay, so hex tanks
                    aren't the way to go if we want very many fish. How many do you think
                    would be okay in this one?

                    > So as you can see, your 18 gallon hex has LESS stocking capacity
                    >than your 10 gallon. So be careful.

                    Ooh..we'll be careful about what/how many we get!

                    > As to fish choice, we could suggest a million different small great
                    fish. Unfortunately we do not know what you local stores carry. So
                    instead you might visit your stores and keep a list of fish you liked
                    and report back and we can then give you our opinion of those choices.

                    From what I saw in the stores and online, my favorites are bettas,
                    ghost shrimp (I think they're kinda neat), dwarf gouramis and cherry
                    barbs, I think. I can't remember what the details on the cherry barbs
                    were - like, if they are compatible with bettas, etc. My husband
                    likes the algae eaters, so I thought maybe an otto cat (I think those
                    are the ones, someone else mentioned, that don't get so large?). Any
                    suggestions on these fish and how many would be appropriate for our
                    tanks (10 gal. rectangular and 18 gal. hexagonal) would be awesome.

                    Best regards,

                    Laura

                    P.S. Sorry it takes me so long to respond; I'm working every day and
                    don't have internet at home, so have only been checking email when I
                    get time. I do appreciate and read all the suggestions and info,
                    though!
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 10, 2008
                      --- On Mon, 7/7/08, blue_lkb <blue_lkb@...> wrote:
                      > We will definitely be looking to find them [goldfish] a new home,
                      > since it sounds like they aren't going to work for our situation
                      > (I know, we should have checked it out before buying them). They
                      > are, I believe, comet goldfish...

                      Ya, comet goldfish are really pond fish as they will easily hit a foot in length and even in a smaller tank can quickly get to 8-inches. So small tanks are not great choices for these type of fish. It is too bad since goldfish are cool fish with personality, but often they are kept in too small quarters, with a lot of people trying to do the old "fish bowl" setup with short lived results.

                      > Oh, bummer, I thought (was hoping!) it was larger. Okay, so hex
                      > tanks aren't the way to go if we want very many fish. How many
                      > do you think would be okay in this one?

                      Hex tanks do have their advantages depending on what one might want to keep in them. For example, some of the long grass like aquatic plants can get very long and usually go up and across the water surface on normal rectangular tanks. These plants are great for hex tanks.

                      They also are good for creating paladarium type tanks (half water & half land/air) with a little water fall and that sort of thing. Also they often make good terrarium tanks for frogs, salamanders, and that sort of thing.

                      Anyway, besides the smaller surface area of a hex tank, the other thing to keep in mind is there is little side to side swimming space, so you want to pick fish that are not manic swimmers back and forth (such as Danios) and try to pick fish that either spend more time hovering/coating or tend to move up and down (say small cichlids that live in communities in rock walls).

                      I think Cherry barbs, that you meantioned liking, would be a good choice as they are small and one of the few barbs that really don't need large schools as they actually seem to be a bit solitary. A male and a couple females would be plenty and would fit nicely into the hex. Ghost shrimps, another you mentioned, also would work well in such a tank. They are cheap, so buy a ton of them (say a dozen+). Some larger fish may eat ghost shrimp, but cherry barbs would probably leave them alone. Otto cats, yet again something you meantioned, would also work well as they stay small.

                      The thing about otto cats is they tend to be sensative to changing conditions and may not be in the best shape when you get them. These fish are wild caught so they sometimes are a little travel worn when you get them. My own experience with them is that you can buy a bunch of them, say 3-6 and within a week or two, lose 1/3 or half of those. But then the ones that settle in nicely tend to be very hardy in my tanks and go for many years. The only thing is, I would wait until the tank has been set up and running for a while (month+) and actually has some algae grown before getting ottos. They really do best if introduced into a mature tank and a new tank will offer little for them to graze.

                      So assuming you set that hex up for those three, shrimp, Cherry barbs, and Ottos, because all are small and clean little guys, I personally would have no issues throwing in a trio of Cherry barbs, let the tank run in for a couple weeka and cycle. Then when you are sure ammonia and nitrite levels are at zero, throw in a dozen ghost shrimp. See how that goes for about a month or until algae starts to appear and then try adding 4-5 otto cats with the assumption that you may lose a couple in the early weeks.

                      Change a couple of gallons of water on a weekly basis and you should be in great shape with that tank.

                      For the regular ten gallon tank, you could go with the same sort of stocking levels, say 10 or less small (under 2") fish or maybe something closer to a half dozen to eight slightly larger (~2 to 2.5") fish. Again change a couple gallons on a weekly basis and you shouldn't have any problems. I consider those stocking levels to be about normal to maybe slightly light if you stick with really small fish. This is the kind of stocking level where if you go on vacation for two weeks, leave the fish untended/unfed and your filter broke the day after you left, you would likely come home to find them all happily swimming around and ready to be fed.

                      Patrick
                    • blue_lkb
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 14, 2008
                        Hi Patrick,

                        Would bettas work in my hex tank? Would they (well, they as in a couple
                        of females *or* a single male) do ok with some of the other fish you
                        mentioned? I really like bettas, so would love to have at least one in
                        one of the tanks, if possible.

                        Thanks for the suggestions! It really helps to have someone more
                        knowledgeable with fish suggesting different types and how many, etc.

                        Best regards,

                        Laura
                      • pam andress
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 14, 2008
                          I have bettas in most of my tanks. Both my 55 gal tanks have a male. My 15 gal has 4 females and when not trying to get them to breed, My other tanks also have a male in them. They do fine with my fish, but do like the tanks that don't have much movement (water) and have places to hide (plants).

                          Pam

                          To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.comFrom: blue_lkb@...: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:41:24 +0000Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] New member intro and questions

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 15, 2008
                            Hi Laura,

                            As Pam already mentioned, bettas, mainly the males, do not like much water movement. This is especially true for the males because they have to drag those long fins around and if you are constantly fighting water current dragging against long flowing fins, it can be very tiring and not healthy in the long run. Think of taking a couple beach towels, attaching them to yourself like a cape and then going for a swim.

                            The other problem with males in a hex is that because they do not swim around a ton, they often spend a fair amount of time resting. Either on the bottom or if you have plants, they will wedge themselves in a plant up near the surface. It is a long swim from the bottom of a hex for a male betta to get a gulp of air.

                            This is not to say a male betta won't work in your hex, but these are things to keep an eye out for. You can always try it and if you find your betta has trouble with the other fish or seems not to do well in that tank, you can always remove him and put him in his own one-gallon tank, pickle jar, large plastic box, or any other roughly 1-gallon or larger container.

                            Females, because they have short fins, tend to do a bit better in normal tanks. Also in nature, male bettas tend to stay put guarding a nesting area while the female are the ones who travel about, mate, then get chased away. So they tend to also be a bit more suited to swimming around larger areas.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                              Hey all,

                              Have been getting tired of looking at my oh-so-fake plastic plants
                              and been thinking more about adding some live plants (ok, I admit, I
                              went and bought a java fern to put in my 55 gal...and I hope that
                              sucker grows, because it's really small right now!).

                              What other plants would be good for a beginner? I saw Patrick's post
                              on the hornwort and other plant that are good floating plants. Also,
                              I was reading back through old messages and saw where it was
                              mentioned that hex tanks are great for some types of plants that grow
                              really tall. Are there any that would be appropriate for a beginner?

                              > Hex tanks do have their advantages depending on what one might want
                              to keep in them. For example, some of the long grass like aquatic
                              plants can get very long and usually go up and across the water
                              surface on normal rectangular tanks. These plants are great for hex
                              tanks.

                              Best regards,

                              Laura
                            • Tom Reagin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                                Anubia Fraizeri (?sp)  Slow grower, hardy. Does not require high light conditions.  As with all plants grow better in cooler water.  Gets quite tall--eventually.  I think very attractive.  I got mine from Wilma Duncan.

                                Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
                                104 Church Street
                                Decatur, GA 30030

                                Voice (404)378-3694
                                Fax (404)373-0741

                              • pam andress
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                                  A lot depends on how you want to take care of them. How long you keep your light on, what kind of light and how often you want to feed them. Do you want to get into CO2 or not. Then you have to watch what fish you have as some will uproot them, some will eat them etc. I personally love live plants and if they don't make it, I just get more or different ones depending on why they didn't make it. Red plants are beautiful, but I can't get them to work for me. They need more light and many need CO2 which I don't have nor want to add. I have gotten plants from various sources and I'm thinking about helping someone in his business selling them. I will have a lot to learn if I do, but his plants are great.

                                  One side note, when you get live plants, many times you get snails on them. There are ways to kill the snails if you don't want them, but you have to do it before you put the plants in the tank.

                                  Personally, I have 6 tanks set up right now and ALL have live plants. I have spent a lot of money on fake plants and I will not use them if I don't have too.

                                  Pam

                                  To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.comFrom: blue_lkb@...: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:37:44 +0000Subject: [Freshwater Aquariums] Aquarium plants

                                  Hey all,Have been getting tired of looking at my oh-so-fake plastic plants and been thinking more about adding some live plants (ok, I admit, I went and bought a java fern to put in my 55 gal...and I hope that sucker grows, because it's really small right now!). What other plants would be good for a beginner? I saw Patrick's post on the hornwort and other plant that are good floating plants. Also, I was reading back through old messages and saw where it was mentioned that hex tanks are great for some types of plants that grow really tall. Are there any that would be appropriate for a beginner?> Hex tanks do have their advantages depending on what one might want to keep in them. For example, some of the long grass like aquatic plants can get very long and usually go up and across the water surface on normal rectangular tanks. These plants are great for hex tanks.Best regards,Laura

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 17, 2008
                                    Java Ferns are great, but can be very slow growers. It depends a lot on water conditions as well. For example, I had java ferns growing 8-inch leaves in a small ten gallon in my previous town that had to be pruned out constantly to make room. When I moved to my current house (ten years ago), my java ferns have never grown as well since (and that same ten gallon tank has been running continuously STILL and the Java Ferns don't do as well.

                                    However the Crypts are doing well. Crypts are great plants if you have patience to wait for them to adjust to your tank and grow. Under lower light they grow slower but will grow faster if given more light. Many of the common ones can be kept under low or higher light and the main difference will be growth rates.

                                    Any of the Sag and Val grass type plants are the ones I referred to in taller tanks and many are easy to keep and are not demanding. They also do better than many other types of plants if you have water that leans towards the hard side.

                                    As someone else pointed out, any of the Anubius plants can be great. Expensive and slow growers but do well in many tank with low light and no special substrate, CO2, or that kind of stuff needed. Some people claim these work well with (along with Java Ferns) with plant eating fish who won't eat them. However my Silver Dollar can't read (even after having her for 13 years now), so apparently doesn't know this and happily chomps away at them if I try to add them to that tank.