Bettas as gifts for young children

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2008
      If I wanted to put together a set up for my niece, what would be the
      best way to go about it?
      I know what to look for when buying a betta for myself. But this is
      going to be a male betta in a bowl/vase minus the flowers.

      As far as substrate goes, would it be okay to use glass beads/marbles?

      And is it essential to have a cover on the vase?

      Thanks
      Lisa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2008
        --- Lisa <lisa_lawless2004@...> wrote:
        > If I wanted to put together a set up for my niece,
        > what would be the best way to go about it?

        How old is she? First thing to do is of course to make this plan
        known to her parents and make sure it is ok. If she is younger, the
        real responsibility for its care will often fall to the parents so
        they should be in the loop with your plan.

        > I know what to look for when buying a betta for myself. But this is
        > going to be a male betta in a bowl/vase minus the flowers.

        Ideal container should have a fair amount of surface area to volume.
        In other words, tall narrow necked vases are bad. Bowls are ok but
        best to fill them only to a wide point and not continue to fill until
        the water narrows down again towards the opening. Best container is
        something rectangular, hexagon, round cylinder, or square where the
        opening is about as wide as it can be.

        For example, glass blocks used for walls in showers or basement
        windows work well and you can sometimes find them for sale surplus in
        single quantities.

        > As far as substrate goes, would it be okay to use glass
        > beads/marbles?

        Sure.

        > And is it essential to have a cover on the vase?

        Not usually. But if you pick a taller container or something that you
        won't be filling completely and have a few inches of wall height with
        no water, that should be plenty to prevent a betta from jumping. But
        male bettas are not really jumpers and their long fins don't allow
        them to get up any speed to leave the water normally.