Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] No substrate tank floor

  • Andreas
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2008
      bacteria live in the substrate and help digest poo

      On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Lisa <lisa_lawless2004@...> wrote:

      > I was curious.
      >
      > Does anyone keep their tank's floors free of substrate and just put in
      > a few plastic plants and water safe toys?
      >
      > I'm doing this with my twelve inch tank which is home to 1 male betta,
      > 3 danios and a juvenile tandanis catfish.

    • Dora Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2008
        What do you mean? If you don't put in something there's no way for the plastic plants to stand up.

        Yours,
        Dora Smith
        Austin, TX
        tiggernut24@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
          I have. It is best to opaque the bottom in some way.
          I use black acrylic paint on the out side of the
          bottom.

          Tom

          --- Lisa <lisa_lawless2004@...> wrote:

          > I was curious.
          >
          > Does anyone keep their tank's floors free of
          > substrate and just put in
          > a few plastic plants and water safe toys?
          >
          > I'm doing this with my twelve inch tank which is
          > home to 1 male betta,
          > 3 danios and a juvenile tandanis catfish.

          Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
          104 Church Street
          Decatur, GA 30030

          Voice (404)378-3694
          Fax (404)373-0741
          -----
          Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.
          http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=dGdyZWFnaW45ODk0

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Lisa Lawless
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2008
            My plants have weighted bases. They are able to stand on their own.

            What about glass marbles big enough so there is no risk of goldfish swallowing them?

            I read that could be a potentially hazardous for them if they 'accidentally' pick up some gravel while foregoing on the bottom

            Lisa

            "We dance for laughter, we dance for tears, we dance for madness, we dance for fears, we dance for hopes, we dance for screams.
            We are the dancers, we create the dreams."

            "Why do I dance?.....Why do I breathe?"

            -Anonymous-

          • Tom Reagin
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2008
              I use a sponge filter to accomodate bacteria usually
              one rated at least three times the tank size.

              Tom