Help! Insane heater!

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4 12:27 PM
      The Water temps in my 16 gal will not stabilize!! My male mollys are
      stressing out big time.....I have a submerged heater, not sure of the
      brand as it came with the tank in a kit... but it has a manual hotter
      to colder dial, which is turned almost all the way down..But the water
      temp is 80.6...The platy seem to be ok at the moment, but I'm worried
      about them...The water temp will go down if I open all the windows, but
      its too cold outside for me to do that today.....
      My black male molly looks like he's prgnant, and is not swimming around
      much, the silver male is floating kind of vertically...
      How can I solve this? What's going on?
    • john
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5 11:55 AM
        Hi Chris;
        Does your tank setup have a lamp or light on it? I've found
        keeping
        the light on with my setup it raises the temp to almost the temp i
        desire.
        If the heater is turned all the way down, you might have to do one
        of
        two things. first look for a timer that you can plug the heater
        into, that way it will only heat the tank part of the day, or buy a
        new
        heater with a lower wattage.
        Good luck with the heater my friend.............J.
        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Chris"
        <odragonmommy@...>
        wrote:

        > The Water temps in my 16 gal will not stabilize!! My male mollys
        are
        > stressing out big time.....I have a submerged heater, not sure of
        the
        > brand as it came with the tank in a kit... but it has a manual
        hotter
        > to colder dial, which is turned almost all the way down..But the
        water
        > temp is 80.6...The platy seem to be ok at the moment, but I'm
        worried
        > about them...The water temp will go down if I open all the windows,
        but
        > its too cold outside for me to do that today.....
        > My black male molly looks like he's prgnant, and is not swimming
        around
        > much, the silver male is floating kind of vertically...
        > How can I solve this? What's going on?

      • Tom Reagin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5 12:42 PM
          1. I suspect swimm bladder disease. I treat by
          feeding shelled and hulled English peas (tiny is
          better.)

          2. Mollies like it warm, but stable. I shoot for 78
          degrees with little variation and have still had poor
          luck with mollies.

          3. Mollies also seem to need salt. More than even
          guppies and this is particularly so until they have
          been in a particular tank for many months. (At that
          point, I have semi successfully very gradually reduced
          the salinity of their water.)

          4. Does the heater have an active light or not. The
          heater may not have enough heating capacity. Two
          heaters of smaller wattage are better than one of
          larger capacity. I have not afforded to implement
          that in my tanks. I like Ebo Jaeger heaters the best,
          maybe visitherm next best, but not sure what brand
          those heaters actually are. I generally don't like
          those that come with kits or the brands supplied with
          kits bought separately. The cheap heaters tend to
          fail in the on position and cook some fish.

          I did not understand if you tried to turn your heater
          off.

          5. I am also slightly suspicious that your single
          heater may be of insufficient wattage for the
          temperature variations in the room. Tank size and
          room temp and room temp variability are all
          controlling factors in total wattage of heat needed
          (also forgot lighting.)

          Yours

          Tom
          --- Chris <odragonmommy@...> wrote:

          > The Water temps in my 16 gal will not stabilize!! My
          > male mollys are
          > stressing out big time.....I have a submerged
          > heater, not sure of the
          > brand as it came with the tank in a kit... but it
          > has a manual hotter
          > to colder dial, which is turned almost all the way
          > down..But the water
          > temp is 80.6...The platy seem to be ok at the
          > moment, but I'm worried
          > about them...The water temp will go down if I open
          > all the windows, but
          > its too cold outside for me to do that today.....
          > My black male molly looks like he's prgnant, and is
          > not swimming around
          > much, the silver male is floating kind of
          > vertically...
          > How can I solve this? What's going on?

          Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
          104 Church Street
          Decatur, GA 30030

          Voice (404)378-3694
          Fax (404)373-0741
          -----
          Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.
          http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=dGdyZWFnaW45ODk0

        • Cindy Portwine
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6 8:29 PM
            wrote:

            > The Water temps in my 16 gal will not stabilize!! My male mollys are
            > stressing out big time.....I have a submerged heater, not sure of the
            > brand as it came with the tank in a kit... but it has a manual hotter
            > to colder dial, which is turned almost all the way down..But the
            water
            > temp is 80.6...The platy seem to be ok at the moment, but I'm worried
            > about them...The water temp will go down if I open all the windows,
            but
            > its too cold outside for me to do that today.....
            > My black male molly looks like he's prgnant, and is not swimming
            around
            > much, the silver male is floating kind of vertically...
            > How can I solve this? What's going on?

            I would get a new heater. I had one do that in a smaller 40gal. So, I
            put it in my big 75gal tank thinking it couldn't possibly over heat
            that. Ha.... Lost four fish. Cooked them. So, sometimes heaters go bad,
            replace it before it kills your fish.