new tank - zebra danios glofish

  • elybarnhart
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
      hello! we just started up a 10 gallon tank for six tiny zebra danio
      glofish. it has an aquatech filter, lighted hood, heated to 76, with a
      bubbler, gravel and a few silk plants... the tank has been up for 9
      days. i added bio something (sorry, cant remember what it's called
      right now, the pet store lady said we should use it) to the water each
      day for the first seven days.

      when should i do my first partial water change? and how often should i
      use the gravel vaccuum thing? this is our first tank with zebra danios,
      any tips?

      thank you!!
      -ely
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2008
        --- elybarnhart <elybarnhart@...> wrote:
        > hello! we just started up a 10 gallon tank for
        > six tiny zebra danio glofish.

        What colors did you get (out of the three I think are available)?

        > the tank has been up for 9 days.

        Nine days AFTER adding the fish or 9 days total? If the latter, how
        long have the fish been in there?

        > i added bio something (sorry, cant remember what it's called
        > right now, the pet store lady said we should use it) to the water
        > each day for the first seven days.

        I am not a big fan of the "bio" type bacteria supplements because in
        my mind to actually have live bacteria to kick start an aquarium the
        product should be refrigerated, sealed, and have a short expiration
        date. So anything that is in a bottle sitting at room temperature on
        a shelf for weeks or months, probably is not going to do anything
        (snake oil).

        > when should i do my first partial water change?

        I would go ahead and start a water change schedule now. One or two
        gallons on a weekly basis is easy to do and only takes 10 minutes.
        Zebra Danios appreciate new clean water so you really can't change
        water too much for them. And of course you can always change more
        water if you wish, but a gallon would be 10% and two gallons is 20%.
        Doing that weekly, in my opinion is bother easier and better than
        trying to change, for example, 1/3 of the tank monthly or something
        like that.

        > and how often should i use the gravel vacuum thing?

        Zebra danios are pretty clean fish so if you don't over feed them,
        the tank should stay pretty clean. So you don't have to use that
        every time or even every other time, but if you are draining water
        out of the tank anyway, might as well use it more often rather than
        less often. And don't worry about trying to clean everything every
        time. If you are changing a gallon and you can only vacuum 1/3 of the
        bottom of the tank, fine. Don't worry about it. You can do more next
        time.

        Over time you should get a good idea of how much debris you pull out
        of the gravel and get a feel of how often you need to do it.

        > this is our first tank with zebra
        > danios, any tips?

        Enjoy it!

      • elena barnhart
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008
          >> hello! we just started up a 10 gallon tank for
          >> six tiny zebra danio glofish.

          > What colors did you get (out of the three I think
          > are available)?

          we actually now have three of each color - red, orange
          and green (which are actually more of a yellow). they
          are all VERY hyper and seem to enjoy playing glofish
          tag! mornings seem to be their most active time...
          they do mellow out a bit by evening. probably just
          exhausted!

          >> the tank has been up for 9 days.

          > Nine days AFTER adding the fish or 9 days total? If
          > the latter, how long have the fish been in there?

          nine days after adding the fish. tho, by now it's been
          12 days. i did do a 20% water change 2 days ago, and
          managed to vaccuum about one third of the gravel. i'll
          do that every week.

          i have read online that zebra danios (which is what
          the glofish are supposed to be) are a schooling fish.
          i have nine very tiny fish, and they don't seem to
          school. i also read that they usually hang in the
          middle to top of a tank, but these glofish seem to
          like the bottom.

          i did an ammonia test this morning - it came up as
          0.25 - according to the test booklet, this is safe
          enough, but is there something else i can do to keep
          the fish healthy?

          thank you!!
          -ely

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2008
            --- elena barnhart <elybarnhart@...> wrote:
            > i have read online that zebra danios (which is what
            > the glofish are supposed to be) are a schooling fish.
            > i have nine very tiny fish, and they don't seem to
            > school.

            "Schooling" fish only swim about in a tight school when they are
            stressed and frightened. So if you saw them swimming around like that
            it should be more of a matter of concern.

            Otherwise, in the Wild, schooling fish swim around more like a big
            cloud, if you will, where if you are in a hige river, the cloud might
            be spread across several meters or more but still pretty tightly
            grouped when you consider the size of, for example, the Amazon river,
            etc. In a tank, even a large tank, that is still a pretty small
            space, so to the schooling fish, being within a few feet of each
            other is basically schooling as far as they are concerned.

            > i also read that they usually hang in the
            > middle to top of a tank, but these glofish seem to
            > like the bottom.

            Danios swim all over. They are pretty active, NON-shy fish and have
            problems checking out the entire tank. If they are mostly on the
            bottom, perhaps the light it to bright? You have other LARGE fish in
            there that keep the danios clinging to the bottom? Or do they swim
            everywhere but just seem to like to poke around the bottom? You might
            try adding some floating plants (real or fake) and see if that
            encourages towards the top more.

            > i did an ammonia test this morning - it came up as
            > 0.25 - according to the test booklet, this is safe
            > enough, but is there something else i can do to keep
            > the fish healthy?

            Just keep an eye on it and change water whenever it seems to creep up
            a bit.