Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Snail

  • Tom Reagin
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 12, 2007
      yep!
      --- Robert <rroobbeerrtt@...> wrote:

      > Can a snail have babies on its own?

      Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
      104 Church Street
      Decatur, GA 30030

      Voice (404)378-3694
      Fax (404)373-0741
      -----
      Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.
      http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=dGdyZWFnaW45ODk0

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2007
        I'm getting a bit confused here. As I understood it, with most snails, although they are hermaphrodites (have both male and female organs) you still need two snails to reproduce. However, with some snails, e.g. apple snails, there are actually males and females which means you need to have both a male and female to get babies. Therefore, in both cases you would need two snails to reproduce, but with apple snails you would need to be sure you had a male and female but with others like ramshorns you'd just need two snails for them to reproduce. Therefore if you're sure you've only got one in there I'd say you wouldn't get babies but if you happened to get another one with a plant you'd probably end up with loads of them in there.

        The original message was:
        Hi! This is my first time posting to this group. I have a snail he obviously came in on the live plants. He's been in there a few months and hasn't had any babies so is it safe to say he's not the reproducing kind? What do you think? He is getting big and has plenty to eat. If I sent a picture would it help? I just went a looked the snail up it is a ramshorn. Should I take him out? I definitely don't want hundreds....
        Elena in NJ~

        Oh God yes. They reproduce asexually so one can easily turn into
        hundreds. The only limiting factor for their reproduction is available
        food sources and predators. There are some fish that will snack on
        snails such as larger Mollies (though only on the small baby snails as
        I understand it), clown loaches (not a good choice for more fish
        keepers) and freshwater pufferfish (not the best of tank mates for a
        community tank though). There are others I'm sure, but those are the
        ones I know of off hand. But to be fair, there are some species of
        snails I believe that do not reproduce asexually. The pesky kind like
        ramshorn snails certainly do.

        Either be fastidious about cleaning anything that comes into your tank
        (such as plants - the most likely way for them to arrive in your tank)
        or learn to live with them.

        Cheers,
        Kevin R. Stringer

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2007
          No you dont understand, I think I want snails. I only have one,
          he is about 1 inch in diameter. Im in Australia, dont know the
          species, looks like a plain snail. Its the start of summer here
          and theres plants and algae to eat. No big fish. Anything I can
          do to help the snail have babies?
          Thanks,
          Robert

          Oh God yes. They reproduce asexually so one can easily turn into
          hundreds. The only limiting factor for their reproduction is available
          food sources and predators. There are some fish that will snack on
          snails such as larger Mollies (though only on the small baby snails as
          I understand it), clown loaches (not a good choice for more fish
          keepers) and freshwater pufferfish (not the best of tank mates for a
          community tank though). There are others I'm sure, but those are the
          ones I know of off hand. But to be fair, there are some species of
          snails I believe that do not reproduce asexually. The pesky kind like
          ramshorn snails certainly do.

          Either be fastiduous about cleaning anything that comes into your tank

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rroobbeerrtt@...>
          wrote:

          > Can a snail have babies on its own?

        • Sue Bishop
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
            I can vouch for the difficulty of getting rid of brown
            ramshorns. I'm STILL clearing them out at the rate of
            20 to 50 every day or two and there are STILL more of
            them. Maybe I'll get a mollie.

            Sue, who is beginning to REALLY hate ramshorns

            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "kstringer1974"

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 13, 2007
              --- Andrew <a1.mills@...> wrote:
              > I'm getting a bit confused here. As I understood it, with most
              > snails, although they are hermaphrodites (have both male and female
              > organs) you still need two snails to reproduce. However, with some
              > snails, e.g. apple snails, there are actually males and females
              > which means you need to have both a male and female to get babies.
              > Therefore, in both cases you would need two snails to reproduce,
              > but with apple snails you would need to be sure you had a male and
              > female but with others like ramshorns you'd just need two snails
              > for them to reproduce. Therefore if you're sure you've only got
              > one in there I'd say you wouldn't get babies but if you happened to
              > get another one with a plant you'd probably end up with loads of
              > them in there.

              Yes, for those species you are correct. But there are some species
              that do not need more than one like Malaysian Live Bearing trumpet
              burrowing (pick your own combo of common names) snails which are
              reported to all be female and just churn out clones of themselves.

              But the other thing to remember is if you buy a single snail, if it
              is female then there is a chance you can get one that has already
              mated and is just itchen to lay those eggs all over your tank.

            • Emily Tenczar
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 14, 2007
                Aren't ramshorns supposed to be really good at getting rid of algae? I need
                a nice algae eater for a 15 gal tropical tank, but I only have one large ram
                and some small ones in that tank. I already have 6 fish and a frog so it's
                well stocked. Maybe some algae-eating shrimp?
                Emily

                On Dec 13, 2007 5:38 AM, Sue Bishop <toadhillranch@...> wrote:

                > I can vouch for the difficulty of getting rid of brown
                > ramshorns. I'm STILL clearing them out at the rate of
                > 20 to 50 every day or two and there are STILL more of
                > them. Maybe I'll get a mollie.
                >
                > Sue, who is beginning to REALLY hate ramshorns
                >
                > --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com<freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "kstringer1974"
                > <kstringer1974@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Oh God yes. They reproduce asexually so one can easily turn into
                > > hundreds. The only limiting factor for their reproduction is
                > available
                > > food sources and predators. There are some fish that will snack on
                > > snails such as larger Mollies (though only on the small baby snails
                > as
                > > I understand it), clown loaches (not a good choice for more fish
                > > keepers) and freshwater pufferfish (not the best of tank mates for
                > > community tank though). There are others I'm sure, but those are
                > the
                > > ones I know of off hand. But to be fair, there are some species of
                > > snails I believe that do not reproduce asexually. The pesky kind
                > like
                > > ramshorn snails certainly do.
                > >
                > > Either be fastiduous about cleaning anything that comes into your
                > tank
                > > (such as plants - the most likely way for them to arrive in your
                > tank)
                > > or learn to live with them.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > Kevin R. Stringer
                > >
                > > --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com<freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Robert"
                > <rroobbeerrtt@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Can a snail have babies on its own?

              • pam andress
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 14, 2007
                  Get a Bristle nose pleco for your algae problems. They are the best at getting rid of it.

                  Pam

                  To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.comFrom: etenczar@...: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:12:33 -0600Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Re: Snail

                  Aren't ramshorns supposed to be really good at getting rid of algae? I needa nice algae eater for a 15 gal tropical tank, but I only have one large ramand some small ones in that tank. I already have 6 fish and a frog so it'swell stocked. Maybe some algae-eating shrimp?EmilyOn Dec 13, 2007 5:38 AM, Sue Bishop <toadhillranch@...> wrote:>> I can vouch for the difficulty of getting rid of brown> ramshorns. I'm STILL clearing them out at the rate of> 20 to 50 every day or two and there are STILL more of> them. Maybe I'll get a mollie.>> Sue, who is beginning to REALLY hate ramshorns>> --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com<freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>,> "kstringer1974"> <kstringer1974@...> wrote:> >> > Oh God yes. They reproduce asexually so one can easily turn into> > hundreds. The only limiting factor for their reproduction is> available> > food sources and predators. There are some fish that will snack on> > snails such as larger Mollies (though only on the small baby snails> as> > I understand it), clown loaches (not a good choice for more fish> > keepers) and freshwater pufferfish (not the best of tank mates for> a> > community tank though). There are others I'm sure, but those are> the> > ones I know of off hand. But to be fair, there are some species of> > snails I believe that do not reproduce asexually. The pesky kind> like> > ramshorn snails certainly do.> >> > Either be fastiduous about cleaning anything that comes into your> tank> > (such as plants - the most likely way for them to arrive in your> tank)> > or learn to live with them.> >> > Cheers,> > Kevin R. Stringer> >> > --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com<freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>,> "Robert"> <rroobbeerrtt@>> > wrote:> > >> > > Can a snail have babies on its own?> > >> >>> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]