New

  • valkuy71
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi all,
      I just purchased my first aquarium. It's a 5 gallon tank. I bought it
      last Tuesday. I went through the whole cycling process. I noticed
      Saturday morning that the water was cloudy...not a dirty or green
      color though. I didn't leave the light on but I had the aquarium
      sitting on my window sill. There's not a lot of light that comes
      through that window. I put my fish in Saturday and he seems to be
      doing fine. He's bopping all over the place. But I'm still a little
      worried about the cloudy water. How concerned should I be about that?
      Oh, I did check the filter and there's nothing in it. The guy at the
      pet store told me if there was something in it to rinse it out and put
      it back in. He also said that the cloudiness might be from the gravel
      I put in the tank. Maybe I didn't 'wash' it as much as I thought I
      did. Any kind of help from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
        --- valkuy71 <valkuy71@...> wrote:
        > I just purchased my first aquarium. It's a 5 gallon tank. I bought
        > it last Tuesday. I went through the whole cycling process.

        You went through the whole cycling process in less than a week? How
        is you went through the cycling process? Since you also stated you
        "put my fish in Saturday" which means either you used the fish-less
        cycling method by adding ammonia to the tank or a bit of fish food
        and MONITORED your water parameters (namely ammonia and nitrite) OR
        your tank is not cycled at all and you are maybe confused what
        cycling is. Because...

        > I noticed Saturday morning that the water was cloudy...

        Cloudy water is completely normal in a newly set up tank, especially
        when it is going through the nitrogen cycle.

        > I'm still a little worried about the cloudy water.
        > How concerned should I be about that?

        The cloudiness itself is not anything to worry about. But you should
        be concerned with the ammonia and nitrite levels of the tank as the
        cloudiness may be a sign you are going through a cycle and you may
        have elevated levels that should be monitored.

        What type of fish did you put in there?

      • valkuy71
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
          I was told by the pet store to let it cycle for 24 hours...which was
          also stated in the directions that came with the tank. I did not add
          amonia to the tank nor did I add fish food. The fish is a type of
          goldfish. I don't know the exact name. I'm just going by the
          directions I got from the tank and from the pet store.

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick A. Timlin"
          <ptimlin@...> wrote:

          > --- valkuy71 <valkuy71@...> wrote:
          > > I just purchased my first aquarium. It's a 5 gallon tank. I bought
          > > it last Tuesday. I went through the whole cycling process.
          >
          > You went through the whole cycling process in less than a week? How
          > is you went through the cycling process? Since you also stated you
          > "put my fish in Saturday" which means either you used the fish-less
          > cycling method by adding ammonia to the tank or a bit of fish food
          > and MONITORED your water parameters (namely ammonia and nitrite) OR
          > your tank is not cycled at all and you are maybe confused what
          > cycling is. Because...
          >

          > > I noticed Saturday morning that the water was cloudy...
          >
          > Cloudy water is completely normal in a newly set up tank, especially
          > when it is going through the nitrogen cycle.
          >

          > > I'm still a little worried about the cloudy water.
          > > How concerned should I be about that?
          >
          > The cloudiness itself is not anything to worry about. But you should
          > be concerned with the ammonia and nitrite levels of the tank as the
          > cloudiness may be a sign you are going through a cycle and you may
          > have elevated levels that should be monitored.
          >
          > What type of fish did you put in there?
          >

          > Patrick Timlin
          > http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/

        • valkuy71
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
            The water seems to have cleared up. I just got another fish and they
            seem to be getting along well. The first fish I got is a red cap
            oranda...the second fish is an oranda.

            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "valkuy71" <valkuy71@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
              Well I don't mean to sound harsh or criticize, but you really MUST
              read up and learn about the nitrogen cycle. Unfortunately one or both
              of your fish is likely to be dead soon from ammonia poisoning unless
              you start measuring your ammonia and nitrites daily (or more often)
              and changing water as needed to keep the levels down below lethal
              levels until the tank cycles.

              Start with this page...

              http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

              The other problem is that goldfish need lots of room and a 5 gallon
              tank is not even big enough for one goldfish and definitely not two.
              If they are both small right now, they will be ok for a few months,
              but they really need a much larger tank for long term health and grow
              out room. In my opinion, a 10g is too small, a 15g would be cramped,
              and a 20g would be best as a minimum tank size for your two fish.

              So short term, monitor the water with test kits daily and start
              thinking about the next tank sooner rather than later. Or exchange
              the two goldfish for some smaller types of fish that are better
              suited for that tank. And also, do NOT add anything else to that
              tank.

              Let us know if you have questions or need help,
              Patrick