Killifish care?

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
      Does anyone have any killifish in their tanks?

      How easy are they to obtain?

      How easy are they to look after?

      How many could I have in a 30gal tank?

      Any information anyone could provide would be a HUGE help.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Deenerz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2007
        Lisa,

        I have only kept them once so I cannot answer too many questions.

        I can get them from my local aquarium society.

        Most pet stores do not carry more than one or two varieties if any.

        I really good place to check out is aquabid.com
        fish
        http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifish

        eggs
        http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifishe

        or check out the American Killifish Association
        http://www.aka.org/aka/modules/content/index.php?id=2
        You can probably learn a lot from them.

        Yahoogroups also has some Killifish groups to check out.

        Good luck.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2007
          There are many species of killifish including some that live in the
          United States of America. One that is often sold in pet shops is the
          Florida Flag fish., there are others that are uses as bait fish such
          as mumichubs. As to how many that you can have n a tank depends on
          what kind and how large the tank is as well as the water conditions
          that you have for the fish. Before you buy any please do some
          research in the type that you intend on keeping so that you have a
          better chance of keeping them alive and breeding. At the club that I
          belong to we had a pair of killifish go for almost $30.00. After I
          get my fish room set up I am thinking of trying to breed some
          killifish to help get more interest in them up here in Taxachussetts
          and surrounding areas.

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Deenerz@... wrote:

          > Lisa,
          >
          > I have only kept them once so I cannot answer too many questions.
          >

          > I can get them from my local aquarium society.
          >
          > Most pet stores do not carry more than one or two varieties if any.
          >
          > I really good place to check out is aquabid.com
          > fish
          > http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifish
          >
          > eggs
          > http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifishe
          >
          > or check out the American Killifish Association
          > http://www.aka.org/aka/modules/content/index.php?id=2
          > You can probably learn a lot from them.
          >

          > Yahoogroups also has some Killifish groups to check out.
          >
          > Good luck.
          >
          > Mike

        • Rich Hoskins