Re: New member

  • William
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hello and be prepared to learn a lot in this group. Actually it is
      easier to take care of a larger tank than a small tank. When people
      ask why I will ask them which freezes over first, a pond or a lake.
      A pond having less mass will change temp faster than a larger body
      of water. Next I will ask them if you take a drop of poison in each
      a small tank and a large tank which fish will be affected first?
      Since fish have the same temp as the water that they are in it only
      is common sense that if you change the temp too quick you will
      stress them and lower their resistance to diseases. Likewise if you
      put poison in a tank it will be more concentrated in a small tank
      and affect the fish more. I do not recommend people going out and
      buying a 150 gallon tank for the first tank but rather something at
      least of 20 gallons.

      --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa"
      <lisa_lawless2004@...> wrote:

      > Hello.
      > Just though I'd introduce myself.
      > My name is Lisa. (Waves and smiles) Hi.
      >

      > I currently have two small tanks.
      > One is a 12inch. In it, I have 12 assorted danios and 1 female
      betta.
      > In my other smaller tank. I have one VT male Betta.
      >
      > I'm am interested in setting up a 30gal freshwater tank.
      > And considering this is my first `big' tank. I was wondering if I
      could
      > get some advice.
      >
      > Mostly I lurk. But as time gets closer to me actually setting one
      up. I
      > will be full of questions.
      >
      > I will set up a photo album to showcase my babies titled `Lisa's
      tank'

    • arun muthiah
      Message 2 of 9 , May 20, 2008
        Hi to all,
        I am Arun Immanuel residing in Tamil Nadu, India. This is my hobby which I
        restarted after a break since my school days. Now I have a glass aquarium
        and cement tank with Orando, Angel and White Balloon Mollies. I also started
        growing aquatic plants. My aquarium tanks are near window and the plants are
        growing well. In tanks there was also lot of green algae and snails. Please
        give suggestion to get rid off them.

      • Lokesh JM
        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2008
          Arun,
          It is great to know - that you are growing the fishes in the cement tanks also. Koi Carp are the fishes - you can grow in the tanks.  I think you can also breed the fishes in the tanks.
          When it comes to the algae growing the tank - make sure you use.
          1. Anti aglae liquid
          2. Keep some fishes - like sucker molly to get rid of the aglae to some extend.
          3. Regarding the growing of snails - there had been some discussions in this forum - please browse through the topic.
          If the algae is growing in your glass Aquarium tanks - it is typical to avoid the direct sun light to tank.
          YOu get some plants growing tablets from the aquarium shop, use bright light for the tank - which helps the plants to grow.
          Regards
          Lokesh
          Bangalore

          I am Arun Immanuel residing in Tamil Nadu, India. This is my hobby which I
          restarted after a break since my school days. Now I have a glass aquarium
          and cement tank with Orando, Angel and White Balloon Mollies. I also started
          growing aquatic plants. My aquarium tanks are near window and the plants are
          growing well. In tanks there was also lot of green algae and snails. Please
          give suggestion to get rid off them.

          Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! group at http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/

        • Detrick Merz
          Message 4 of 9 , May 21, 2008
            The algae growth is likely being encouraged somewhat by having the
            tank near a window. You may be able to get away with this, if you can
            get your plants doing well enough to out-compete the algae for
            nutrients. It will also likely be an uphill battle.

            Clown Loaches like to eat snails, but also like to be kept in groups,
            and can grow to around 40cm (16 inches), so you will need a larger
            tank to accomadate them.

            How long as the take been running?

            Message 5 of 9 , May 23, 2008
              Thank you sir.