Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Adding a 3rd Fish to a 20g tank that already has 2 comets question

  • Tom Reagin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
      I have true Siamese Algae Eaters. They will eat hair
      algae. I think Flag fish are the only other fish that
      will eat hair algae.

      Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
      104 Church Street
      Decatur, GA 30030

      Voice (404)378-3694
      Fax (404)373-0741
      -----
      Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.
      http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=dGdyZWFnaW45ODk0

    • Susan Mrenna
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
        I would say that your comets are already stunted. I got one this spring and
        it grew to 6 inches and has been re-homed to a pond already. Given the space
        they do grow quite quickly. However if you have had yours for 5 years you
        are doing something right with them. I don't think I would add to the mix.
        Susan

      • William
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
          Why would you want to let them live in undesirable conditions? That
          is cruel to the fish. Just because the fish on the outside grows
          slow does not mean that the insides do not grow faster and will
          stress the fish which will make it less resistant to any diseases
          that come along and therefor shorten their life as well as probably
          make them a lot more uncomfortable. If yo were to do much more water
          changes to get rid of harmful chemicals then you might be able to
          raise a fish in smaller containers of water than is recommended,
          this is what they do in fish farms. But for the average person a
          tank of no less than 30 gallons for the first goldfish and 10
          gallons for each additional fish is recommended. And since goldfish
          are dirty fish it is recommended to have filtration of at least two
          or more times the tank size for them. Also recommended is weekly
          water changes of 25% or more.

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Randy Westbrooke
          <rwestbrooke@...> wrote:

          > thx. both comets are 5 yrs old. Any truth to the idea that fish
          will not grow to full length if their tank conditions are less than
          ideal? I know comets can live a long time, just wondering if they
          will slow growing if their environment won't allow for it....
        • womanseekinggod
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
            Hi Craig,

            I used to have a comet, and just moved it to a pond. They DO NOT slow
            their growth to fit their environment! I kept moving mine to larger
            tanks and he kept on growing bigger and bigger until he could hardly
            turn around. Thankfully I was able to find a pond for him to live in.

            My current grip is that pet store salesmen feed that line to
            unsuspecting buyers, like myself.

            Your fish will be much happier if they are moved to a pond, and
            you'll be happier to know that you're doing the best thing for your
            fish!

            Onna

            <rwestbrooke@...> wrote:

            > thx. both comets are 5 yrs old. Any truth to the idea that fish
            will not grow to full length if their tank conditions are less than
            ideal? I know comets can live a long time, just wondering if they
            will slow growing if their environment won't allow for it....

            > Craig
          • Randy Westbrooke
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
              thx much for the info. I thought it would be best to ask questions before I made a decision. You know. Thank you much for the positive reply to my question. The two fish are doing fine. Active, bright orange, fins, scales in super condition. All is well in the fish world here.
              I will pass on the idea of a 3rd fish in the tank.

              Craig
              Susan Mrenna <mail4sdm2@...> wrote:
              I would say that your comets are already stunted. I got one this spring and
              it grew to 6 inches and has been re-homed to a pond already. Given the space
              they do grow quite quickly. However if you have had yours for 5 years you
              are doing something right with them. I don't think I would add to the mix.
              Susan

              10 Hours 28 Minutes