Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Fantail goldfish huddling at bottom of aquarium - help!

  • grant1656
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 12, 2007
      Hi Gerard,
      The Interpet Swim Bladder treatment contains formaldehyde and
      methanol. I'm supposed to give 4 doses, once every 4 days, next one's
      due on Sunday..
      Grant
      --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Gagnon"
      <aqualab@...> wrote:

      > Do you have info about the ingredient of the Interpet Swim Blader
      > treatement on the bottle , the name of a products is not important,
      it's the
      > ingredient who make the medicine ?,
      >

      > Gérard

      > _____

    • grant1656
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2007
        Hi Patrick,
        There's no nitrite in there, a bit more nitrate than I would like but
        I'm laying off the feeding for the next few days so hopefully that
        will come down. PH is OK, haven't checked for ammonia.
        Just noticed one of fish has white blotches on tail now. Search on
        net indicates this is probably virus called Ick - never rains but it
        pours! So I guess I'll have to go and get something to treat this
        tomorrow.
        I was going to do partial water change but lady at pet shop said it
        might stress the fish so I haven't done so, however I was thinking I
        might do one in next day or so if fish perk up a bit.
        Just hope I'm doing the right things, I'm new to keeping fish,
        annoyed that I lost the first fish, don't want to lose any more!
        Thanks,
        Grant
        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Timlin"
        <ptimlin@...> wrote:

        > "grant1656" <gsrob@> wrote:
        > > Is there anything else I can do,
        > > I don't want to have to watch them die...
        >
        > Grant,
        >
        > id you run any water tests like pH, ammonia, & Nitrite? What where
        the
        > readings?
        >
        > Did you perform a partial water change? How often do you change
        water
        > and how much do you change?
        >
        > Patrick
        >
        > p.s. on vacation so may not read replies for several days

      • grant1656
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2007
          Hi again, progress update...
          My fish both appear to have white spot disease, caused by a parasite.
          Therefore I've changed 1/3 of the water, put aquarium salt in and an
          appropriate dose of Interpet Disease Safe. They're still huddling at
          the bottom of the aquarium most of the time, but according to
          instructions Disease Safe takes a while to work. I've noticed that
          there is a specific Interpet remedy for White Spot, I wish I'd used
          that, but Disease Safe according to instructions should deal with
          white spot too so I guess all I can do now is hope for the best. I'm
          expecting the worst but fingers crossed they might pull through...
          Grant

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "grant1656" <gsrob@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 16, 2007
            Hi Grant,
            Just goit back from my vacation and am trying to catch up...

            --- grant1656 <gsrob@...> wrote:
            > Just noticed one of fish has white blotches on tail now. Search on
            > net indicates this is probably virus called Ick

            Actually ick is a parasite, not a virus.

            > I was going to do partial water change but lady at pet shop said it
            > might stress the fish so I haven't done so, however I was thinking
            > I might do one in next day or so if fish perk up a bit.

            Generally if you do partial water changes on a normal regular basis,
            doing additional ones are not stressful and partial water changes are
            usually very beneficial, especially if the fish are not looking well.
            Nothing like a breath of fresh air... so to speak.

            However in a tank that rarely or never gets partial water changes,
            doing a larger change could be a problem and you have to work your
            way up to normal partial water changes so you don't shock fish
            sitting in old polluted water with new fresh water.

            > Just hope I'm doing the right things, I'm new to keeping fish,
            > annoyed that I lost the first fish, don't want to lose any more!

            For ick, many commercial remedies are very good but I have usually
            relied on the old heat trick, which I started to use when I first
            kept clown loaches that came down with ich. Clown loaches are overly
            sensitive to many medications being scaleless fish.

            Anyway, the simple trick is the ick parasite is intolerant of higher
            temperatures and at around the mid-80s F, this is a deadly temp for
            the ick. To I adjust the tank temp up to about 88F and leave it there
            for a week. This usually takes care of it and even cool water fish
            like goldfish can stand that temperature for this short period, but
            for goldfish you might add additional water movement or an airstone
            to keep the O2 levels up.

          • grant1656
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 20, 2007
              Hi Patrick,

              Thanks for your advice.

              Unfortunately I've now lost two of my fish. No 2 died of white spot.
              Really sad, he looked like he was really suffering badly at the end
              poor little thing.

              The third one is still alive, recovered from white spot but to
              compound things he contracted a fungal infection so I had him in and
              out of buckets of water with fungal treatment over the course of a
              few days.

              I've changed all the water in the aquarium and cleaned it out and now
              he's back in there swimming around. He seems rather listless though
              and I'm worried he may have developed swim bladder disease as well,
              I've treated the tank with swim bladder treatment and salt and I'm
              just hoping for the best now.

              He seems to have a slight red tinge to his back fins and around his
              mouth too, should I worry about this?

              Grant

              I put the fish in alternating buckets with salt
              --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick A. Timlin"
              <ptimlin@...> wrote:

              > Hi Grant,
              > Just goit back from my vacation and am trying to catch up...
              >
              > --- grant1656 <gsrob@...> wrote:
              > > Just noticed one of fish has white blotches on tail now. Search
              on
              > > net indicates this is probably virus called Ick
              >
              > Actually ick is a parasite, not a virus.
              >

              > > I was going to do partial water change but lady at pet shop said
              it
              > > might stress the fish so I haven't done so, however I was thinking
              > > I might do one in next day or so if fish perk up a bit.
              >
              > Generally if you do partial water changes on a normal regular basis,
              > doing additional ones are not stressful and partial water changes
              are
              > usually very beneficial, especially if the fish are not looking
              well.
              > Nothing like a breath of fresh air... so to speak.
              >
              > However in a tank that rarely or never gets partial water changes,
              > doing a larger change could be a problem and you have to work your
              > way up to normal partial water changes so you don't shock fish
              > sitting in old polluted water with new fresh water.
              >

              > > Just hope I'm doing the right things, I'm new to keeping fish,
              > > annoyed that I lost the first fish, don't want to lose any more!
              >
              > For ick, many commercial remedies are very good but I have usually
              > relied on the old heat trick, which I started to use when I first
              > kept clown loaches that came down with ich. Clown loaches are overly
              > sensitive to many medications being scaleless fish.
              >
              > Anyway, the simple trick is the ick parasite is intolerant of higher
              > temperatures and at around the mid-80s F, this is a deadly temp for
              > the ick. To I adjust the tank temp up to about 88F and leave it
              there
              > for a week. This usually takes care of it and even cool water fish
              > like goldfish can stand that temperature for this short period, but
              > for goldfish you might add additional water movement or an airstone
              > to keep the O2 levels up.
              >
              > Patrick Timlin
              > http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/

            • grant1656
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 21, 2007
                I've just done some research on the net and it looks like he's got
                Columnaris, explains redness on body and he's got this white stringy
                stuff blowing in and out of mouth. It's bacterial, so looks like I'll
                have to get yet more medication.