Planted aquarium advice

  • Lisa Rambo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
      I have finally set up my planted aquarium and would like advice on how
      to maintain it.
      I have a 30gal. xtra tall. I got a Coralife full spectrum light for it
      and used the live substrate under my gravel. I'm hoping these things
      will increase my chances for success.
      My questions are: How can I reduce the debris that happens naturally
      from the live plants? Is it ok to remove dead leaves or dying leaves?
      Right now I have a mixture of jungle val, wisteria, moneywort,java
      fern and some other misc things.
      I'm pretty much a perfectionist and seeing plants that aren't perfect
      is going to bug me. But if that is the nature of a planted aquarium
      then I can be ok with it.
      Any advice on how to increase my plants quality of life would be
      appreciated.
      Thanks, Lisa
    • lruark114
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2007
        To keep it clean just use your gravel vac in the open areas around
        the plants, trying not to disturb the plants, remove dead leaves,
        trim stems and replant when needed. For healthy looking plants
        you'll need fertilizer. Depending on how much plant load you have
        will determine how much and how often you would dose, but I recommend
        buying dry fertilizer of the internet. I have had amazing success
        with them and they last forever.
        Also read, read, read....The best place in my opinion is groups like
        this, and also here:

        http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

        very nice group of people with neverending knowledge and advice
        specifically for planted tanks. I learned just about all I know on
        keeping planted tanks from there. Hope this helps! Leah

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Rambo"
        <canineclara@...> wrote:

        > I have finally set up my planted aquarium and would like advice on
        how
        > to maintain it.
        > I have a 30gal. xtra tall. I got a Coralife full spectrum light for
        it
        > and used the live substrate under my gravel. I'm hoping these
        things
        > will increase my chances for success.
        > My questions are: How can I reduce the debris that happens
        naturally
        > from the live plants? Is it ok to remove dead leaves or dying
        leaves?
        > Right now I have a mixture of jungle val, wisteria, moneywort,java
        > fern and some other misc things.
        > I'm pretty much a perfectionist and seeing plants that aren't
        perfect
        > is going to bug me. But if that is the nature of a planted
        aquarium
        > then I can be ok with it.
        > Any advice on how to increase my plants quality of life would be
        > appreciated.
        > Thanks, Lisa

      • Tom Reagin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2007
          You will have a better looking aquarium if you trim
          the dying and removed the dead foliage.

          Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
          104 Church Street
          Decatur, GA 30030

          Voice (404)378-3694
          Fax (404)373-0741
          -----
          Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.
          http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=dGdyZWFnaW45ODk0