Re: cichlids for a 29 gal tank?

  • dreammaker2623
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
      Rams or Apistogrammas would be fisn in a tank of that size.
      Aequidens dorsigenis (spelling might be wrong) or dolphin cichlid
      would be fine in a tank of that size. If you just wanted a breeding
      pair of cchlids in the 29 gallon tank then a pair of convicts would
      fit the bill.

      --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah"
      <jon_wade45@...> wrote:

      > HI!
      > can anyone tell me what type of cichlids I can keep in my 29 gal
      tank?
      > and how many?
      >
      > I need a type that like soft acidic water.(I already have angels
      in
      > a 55 gal so not that type)
      >
      > I like the looks of the t bar and blue acara but someone told
      me a
      > pair would be too much in that size of tank.
      >
      > so anyone have any ideas?
      > all help would be apreciated.. Thanks, Debbie

    • Rich Hoskins

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
          Fish keep growing on the inside even if the outside does not get
          larger. This will stress them and lower their resistance to disease.
          They might look and act fine gut they are not fine cramped up in a
          small aquarium. That is not too much unlike the Japanese who would
          wrap up the females feet so that they could ;not grow and the women
          could barely walk. Some people thought that this was good but would
          you be?

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Rich Hoskins

        • Deenerz@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
            I have to agree.

            There is a difference between living and thriving.

            Besides the growing to the size of the tank is an old goldfish myth.

            Mike

            Fish keep growing on the inside even if the outside does not get
            larger. This will stress them and lower their resistance to disease.
            They might look and act fine gut they are not fine cramped up in a
            small aquarium. , Rich Hoskins
            <dmxdragon2@...> wrote:

            > If you buy them small they will usually only grow as big as the
            size of the aguarium. One pair in a 29 gallon isn't to much in my
            opinion. I had two pair of Oscars in a 29 gallon and they were fine.

            > Rich
            >
            > Deborah <jon_wade45@...> wrote:
            > HI!
            > can anyone tell me what type of cichlids I can keep in my 29 gal
            tank?
            > and how many?
            >
            > I need a type that like soft acidic water.(I already have angels
            in
            > a 55 gal so not that type)
            >
            > I like the looks of the t bar and blue acara but someone told me a
            > pair would be too much in that size of tank.
            >
            > so anyone have any ideas?
            > all help would be apreciated.. Thanks, Debbie

          • robby blanco
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
              Guys just to share some stuff, when I was a beginner, I was able to keep at
              least 15 different types of African cichlids in a 75gal aquarium. They fight
              sometimes, but generally if you give them their own spaces(I divided the
              tanks through a couple of big boulders), it can be done...