cichlids for a 29 gal tank?

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
      HI!
      can anyone tell me what type of cichlids I can keep in my 29 gal tank?
      and how many?

      I need a type that like soft acidic water.(I already have angels in
      a 55 gal so not that type)

      I like the looks of the t bar and blue acara but someone told me a
      pair would be too much in that size of tank.

      so anyone have any ideas?
      all help would be apreciated.. Thanks, Debbie
    • dreammaker2623
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
        Rams or Apistogrammas would be fisn in a tank of that size.
        Aequidens dorsigenis (spelling might be wrong) or dolphin cichlid
        would be fine in a tank of that size. If you just wanted a breeding
        pair of cchlids in the 29 gallon tank then a pair of convicts would
        fit the bill.

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah"
        <jon_wade45@...> wrote:

        > HI!
        > can anyone tell me what type of cichlids I can keep in my 29 gal
        tank?
        > and how many?
        >
        > I need a type that like soft acidic water.(I already have angels
        in
        > a 55 gal so not that type)
        >
        > I like the looks of the t bar and blue acara but someone told
        me a
        > pair would be too much in that size of tank.
        >
        > so anyone have any ideas?
        > all help would be apreciated.. Thanks, Debbie

      • Rich Hoskins

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
            Fish keep growing on the inside even if the outside does not get
            larger. This will stress them and lower their resistance to disease.
            They might look and act fine gut they are not fine cramped up in a
            small aquarium. That is not too much unlike the Japanese who would
            wrap up the females feet so that they could ;not grow and the women
            could barely walk. Some people thought that this was good but would
            you be?

            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Rich Hoskins

          • Deenerz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
              I have to agree.

              There is a difference between living and thriving.

              Besides the growing to the size of the tank is an old goldfish myth.

              Mike

              Fish keep growing on the inside even if the outside does not get
              larger. This will stress them and lower their resistance to disease.
              They might look and act fine gut they are not fine cramped up in a
              small aquarium. , Rich Hoskins
              <dmxdragon2@...> wrote:

              > If you buy them small they will usually only grow as big as the
              size of the aguarium. One pair in a 29 gallon isn't to much in my
              opinion. I had two pair of Oscars in a 29 gallon and they were fine.

              > Rich
              >
              > Deborah <jon_wade45@...> wrote:
              > HI!
              > can anyone tell me what type of cichlids I can keep in my 29 gal
              tank?
              > and how many?
              >
              > I need a type that like soft acidic water.(I already have angels
              in
              > a 55 gal so not that type)
              >
              > I like the looks of the t bar and blue acara but someone told me a
              > pair would be too much in that size of tank.
              >
              > so anyone have any ideas?
              > all help would be apreciated.. Thanks, Debbie

            • robby blanco
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
                Guys just to share some stuff, when I was a beginner, I was able to keep at
                least 15 different types of African cichlids in a 75gal aquarium. They fight
                sometimes, but generally if you give them their own spaces(I divided the
                tanks through a couple of big boulders), it can be done...