Just starting a community tank

  • dthiess84
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
      Hi, I just set up a new community tank and it is my first one. I have
      2 angelfish, 2 mickey mouse platys, 2 african frogs, 2 corydoras, and
      5 guppies. It is a 38 gallon tank with filter and heater. I just
      wanted to ask about what other fish might be good to go in with these
      guys. From what I've read elsewhere, it is a good idea to have a
      school of fish (6 to ten fish) like danios or something similar, in
      addition to a few more corydoras. I would love any other suggestions
      from all of you because I'm sure you all have more experience in this
      area than I do. Thanks so much in advance!
    • Gerard Gagnon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
        Let me guest , do you cycled the tank ? , if not I will wait to see how many
        of the actual fish will survive before put more.

        Gérard

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2007
          --- dthiess84 <dthiess84@...> wrote:
          > Hi, I just set up a new community tank and it is my first one.
          > I have 2 angelfish, 2 mickey mouse platys, 2 african frogs,
          > 2 corydoras, and 5 guppies.
          > It is a 38 gallon tank with filter and heater.

          As Gérard pointed out, sounds like you may have added too much to
          start with if the tank is not cycled.

          > I just wanted to ask about what other fish
          > might be good to go in with these guys.

          AFTER IT CYCLES, I would suggest you increase the Cory cat school to
          4-6 fish, preferrably all of the same species.