Re: Posts not showing up [was: New 125 Gal monster!!!]

  • Patrick Timlin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2007
      --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Sean McCaskey" wrote:
      > I sent a message to this group yesterday with the above subject
      > and it still has not been posted?? Am I doing something wrong?
      > I have posted in may other Yahoo groups and have had no problems
      > like this at all.
      >
      > Are my message still in "review" mode or something? Thanks!

      Sean, there are a few problems here. One is that Yahoo implemented a
      SPAM filter for groups and by default turned it on for all groups.
      Unfortunately this spam filter stinks and many non-spam messages go
      right into it waiting for a moderator to approve them. Because it is
      so bad, most groups have turned off that feature.

      Second, the owner of this group no longer know the password they used
      to log onto here and so is effectively locked out of the group and can
      not make changes or approve those spam message or turn it off. So we
      are effectively owner/moderator-less.

      My posts all seem to fall into the spam bucket so now for this
      particular group, to reply I always use the "Reply (via web post)"
      option. If you post from the web page rather than your email address,
      this avoids the spam bucket. If you still have your message you posted
      earlier, then cut and paste it into a message from the web site. Just
      make a mental note that for this group to always post via the web page.

      I know the original owner has tried to get Yahoo to reset the passwork
      or let the owner back in, but so far no luck. So we just have to deal
      with these little quirks instead.

      Patrick
    • selyna_whitewolf
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2007
        I wondered where all my posts had vanished to! I knew they were
        filtered by the moderator and was trying to figure out why they
        weren't acceptable.

        Thanks for the heads up Patrick. Lets see if THIS works.

        I have a question for people here. What is everyone's opinion on Sand
        vs. Gravel?

        I've read so many conflicting things. Some say it's harder to clean
        than gravel; another said it's cleaner as long as you go with a large
        enough size..etc etc.

        What is everyones experiences/ opinions with it.?
      • Patrick Timlin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2007
          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "selyna_whitewolf" wrote:
          > Thanks for the heads up Patrick. Lets see if THIS works.

          I can see your post. It works! :)

          > I have a question for people here. What is everyone's opinion on Sand
          > vs. Gravel?

          You want neither one in your swim trunks.

          > I've read so many conflicting things. Some say it's harder to clean
          > than gravel; another said it's cleaner as long as you go with a large
          > enough size..etc etc.

          Unfortunately there are so many different types, sizes, material,
          rough, smooth, etc. of both sand and gravel that it is hard to compare.
          For example, play sand is very fine while sand blasting "sand" comes in
          grain sizes big enough that it is essentially small gravel (and yes
          people buy sand blasting material as a cheap alternative when setting
          up large tanks).

          With sand the problem with keeping it clean is that, assuming fine
          grain sand, you can not easily vacuum it like you can gravel since
          rather than tumbling around in the bottom while poop, uneaten food,
          etc. floats up and out, sand will often suck right up as well. Sand can
          also have the issue of compacting if you use too much, don't have
          plants, don't have diggers or sifters.

          On the other hand, I have one tank, a ten gallon, that uses sand and it
          has been up and running for a number of years now without issue. I
          didn't use a lot, I do have plants in it, and also it has been
          populated with animals that will dig through it, sift it, or otherwise
          move it around (Malaysian trumpet snails, kuhlii loaches, yoyo loaches,
          etc.). In the years it has been running, I have never tried to vac the
          substrate on in that tank but it seems to be doing ok.

          Also with sand or gravel, be careful what you buy. Some is inert while
          others can be types that will alter your water chemistry (e.g.
          limestone). Unless you keep fish that like hard water with a high pH,
          you generally do not want marine sands which tend to have a lot of
          ground shells and other calcium type material and you probably want to
          avoid any gravel that is "epoxy coated".

          So I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. It really
          depends on the setup and the type of sand or gravel. It is hard to make
          a blanket statement for or against either.