Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Re: Novice, looking for colorfull community fish suggestions

  • Deenerz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 19, 2007
      Just my small experience here.
      I have two German rams with about 20+ endler's(Wingei) livebearers, and the rams have paid very little attention to them.
      There is also a single male Dario Dario in the tank and he does have many places to retreat into if necessary but have not seen much aggresion toward him from the rams.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 19, 2007
        To add to the "cichlids are not holy terrors"... my Kribs (of which
        there must be a good half dozen or so) live with rainbow fish, a
        silver dollar, glo-light tetras, otto cats, a couple clown plecos,
        and ummm, hmmm think that is it in that tank. No problems at all.

        Patrick

        --- Deenerz@... wrote:
        > Just my small experience here.
        > I have two German rams with about 20+ endler's(Wingei) livebearers,
        > and the rams have paid very little attention to them.
        > There is also a single male Dario Dario in the tank and he does
        > have many places to retreat into if necessary but have not seen
        > much aggresion toward him from the rams.
        >
        > Mike

      • Rev. Eric Roberts
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 21, 2007
          Never said they were holy terrors...but lets go stick those tetra's in my
          cichlid tank and see how long they last before becoming cichlid snacks...

          Eric

          _____

          --- Deenerz@aol. <mailto:Deenerz%40aol.com> com wrote:
          > Just my small experience here.
          > I have two German rams with about 20+ endler's(Wingei) livebearers,
          > and the rams have paid very little attention to them.
          > There is also a single male Dario Dario in the tank and he does
          > have many places to retreat into if necessary but have not seen
          > much aggresion toward him from the rams.
          >
          > Mike

          Patrick Timlin
          http://www.geocitie <http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/> s.com/ptimlin/

        • Patrick Timlin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 23, 2007
            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, bodfrass wrote:
            > I've been told that Rams will go for long fined fish such as
            > Guppies, Barbs to I think; is this not agression or are you saying
            > that you have exsperenced differently? I think as a general rule
            best
            > stay clear of Chilids if you don't want any hassel, I think that
            was
            > what he was trying to say but fare point about the Angle fish which
            > are territorial as well.

            I was just pointing out that there ARE plenty of cichlids you can
            choose for the community tank if you know what to look for. Sure many
            cichlids are aggressive and unknowingly adding these to a community
            tank would be a disaster, but then that is true of many other types
            of non-cichlid fish that can end up being aggressive or bothersome to
            other fish. On the flip side there is also the problem of adding
            overly sensitive fish to a tank where the tank's inhabitants are not
            considered aggressive, but for certain quiet species, those same tank
            mates might be to active for them.

            I don't think cichlids are any more of a "hassel" than many other
            types of fish if you know what you are getting and how and with what
            to combine them with. For example, I don't think Rams and Kribs are
            anymore hassle than many types of other community fish that people
            add all the time to tanks like Tiger Barbs, Red Tail "sharks",
            Chinese Algae eaters, and other commonly sold "community" fish that
            are often worse than many of the smaller peaceful cichlids.

            Bottom line is, research any and all fish choices BEFORE they are
            purchased to make sure they are right for the mix of fish you are
            planning.