Re: Green Water

  • kstringer1974
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2007
      Are you adding CO2 to your planted tank? Are dosing fertizliers at all?
      I'm not sure what might be causing your green water only during these
      winter months, but typically plants can "out-compete" algae for
      nutrients provided all the necessary nutrients are at suitable levels.
      Any one that is too low will prevent your plants from being able to
      maximize utlization of the others. The three big things to consider are
      1.) Light (if you are using flourescent bulbs, make sure to change them
      once a year or so), 2.) CO2 - fish do not really provide enough on
      their own so it's usually a good idea to supplement this vital nutrient
      either through CO2 injection or with something like Flourish Excel (a
      liquid Carbon product). 3.) Iron and other minerals either in
      specialized soil (I use Eco-Complete) or through liquid dosing. Patrick
      Timlin who is on this group is an expert on planted tanks and I've
      gotten a lot of good advice from his posts in the past.

      You can always try the blackout method for getting rid of the green
      water or a flocculant which will bind the algae particles into larger
      clumps so they can be removed by your filter, but these will not remove
      the root cause of the problem.

      Best of luck,
      Kevin