About water in your aquarium

  • nonya
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2006
      People have trouble with their water and testing,one thing to do befor
      testing,rinse your test viles or whatever you use,when setting up a
      tank,use a good brand name tap water conditioner,even if using well
      water or spring water,because of heavy metals,like
      copper,cholrine,minerals harmfull to fish,ect.its a good idea to change
      25% of your water everyweek,change filter carbon every month,rinse
      filters as often as needed,keep your tank a steady temp,and
      remember,ambient temp can change the temp in tank enough to cause some
      fish stress,such as in winter,or if your tank is where the sun can
      shine on it. rinse your plants befor adding them to your tank,float
      your new fish for atleast 10 minutes,and within 5 minutes of
      floating,tear a small hole in the bag and let some of your tank water
      in,it helps the fish adjust to your water.
    • pumpkin422001
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi Suzanne -
        When I change to a bigger aquarium I always fill the new tank halfway
        with fresh tap water (dechlorinated of course) and fill the new tank
        the rest of the way with water from the old tank. The old water is
        full of beneficial bacteria that the fish need.
        I also do water changes on a two week basis - some say more often and
        some say that you don't need to do it that often. I find it's
        whatever works good for the fish and yourself.
        Good luck!

        - Heather K.
      • john
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2006
          Hi Friends;
          When I get new fish to add, I put them into a 5 gal bucket
          (reserved for " just this occasion") taking them out of the bag
          first, then i use an air hose i'm no longer using for the tanks to
          trickle water into the bucket. this serves three purposes, the
          first is not introducing water from the lfs into my tanks, second is
          to acclimate them to the water in the tank to reduce stress and
          possible temperature changes, and third is to do a water change in
          the process. for when the bucket is about half full, or full
          depending on which tank i'm working with, I net them out and put
          them into the tank. the water I use for my plants. This process
          might not be right for everyone, but it works for me. Good luck to
          all.......John
          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "nonya" <schaff189@...>