Stocking suggestions?

  • Debby
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      I wrote a perhaps too long letter to UniQuaria list that has not yet made
      it through the moderators (maybe they're on vacation?), and here I am,
      thinking I might go to a fish store tomorrow, weather permitting.

      So I'll give you all the very abbreviated version. If you want it in
      (boring?) detail, let me know ;)

      Tank: 6 gallon Eclipse System 6, complete out of the box, set up on August
      9, 2006, mid day

      Water: Originally 1/3 distilled, 2/3 Britta filtered; now all Britta
      filtered plus Prime; I change out about 8 cups every other day.

      Original Fish: 4 Head & Tail Light Tetras bought and introduced to tank on
      August 11; one died on Aug 14; new one acquired Aug 26, now 4 again

      Plants: Nearly all Anacharis.

      Decorations: LFS-bought gravel; red jasper, quartz crystals, polished
      petrified wood.

      Heat: ambient air, averaging 80 oF

      Chemical testing, via Tetra Test: on Sept 1, evening: Ammonia 0 (probably
      spiked around Aug 17), Nitrate less than 0.3 (maybe spiked on 20th or so);
      haven't tested Nitrates yet.

      City tested water hardness: 4.9 (in 2005, from city map)
      City tested pH: 8.2 (2005)

      Notes: snails okay. a wee bit of algae present.

      After three weeks, all the fish look fine.

      My question for today: Since I think I have room for a few more fish, what
      do you suggest? Should I stick with what works, the brassy/gold H&T, each
      with a bit of personality, or look for some fish just as easy going but
      maybe more colorful?

      Debby
      dls@...
      in Albuquerque
    • Sarah White
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
        Wow, you change an average of a quart per day? ... For six gallons, a quart
        per day... Your water change rate comes out to a full water change every 24
        days... This is not good. Is the water buffered? (pH will be affected with
        a water change)

        Blessed be,
        Sarah White

      • Vern Schafer
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006
          Hi,
          You or your LFS should check the Nitrate level before considering to
          add another fish. Your Nitrogen cycle is still developing. If you
          believe in the one inch of fish per gallon rule, you are close to
          maximum capacity.
          Hope that helps

          VSCHAFER

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Debby <dls@...> wrote:

          > I wrote a perhaps too long letter to UniQuaria list that has not
          yet made
          > it through the moderators (maybe they're on vacation?), and here I
          am,
          > thinking I might go to a fish store tomorrow, weather permitting.
          >
          > So I'll give you all the very abbreviated version. If you want it
          in
          > (boring?) detail, let me know ;)
          >
          > Tank: 6 gallon Eclipse System 6, complete out of the box, set up
          on August
          > 9, 2006, mid day
          >
          > Water: Originally 1/3 distilled, 2/3 Britta filtered; now all
          Britta
          > filtered plus Prime; I change out about 8 cups every other day.
          >
          > Original Fish: 4 Head & Tail Light Tetras bought and introduced
          to tank on
          > August 11; one died on Aug 14; new one acquired Aug 26, now 4 again
          >
          > Plants: Nearly all Anacharis.
          >
          > Decorations: LFS-bought gravel; red jasper, quartz crystals,
          polished
          > petrified wood.
          >
          > Heat: ambient air, averaging 80 oF
          >
          > Chemical testing, via Tetra Test: on Sept 1, evening: Ammonia 0
          (probably
          > spiked around Aug 17), Nitrate less than 0.3 (maybe spiked on 20th
          or so);
          > haven't tested Nitrates yet.
          >
          > City tested water hardness: 4.9 (in 2005, from city map)
          > City tested pH: 8.2 (2005)
          >
          > Notes: snails okay. a wee bit of algae present.
          >
          > After three weeks, all the fish look fine.
          >
          > My question for today: Since I think I have room for a few more
          fish, what
          > do you suggest? Should I stick with what works, the brassy/gold
          H&T, each
          > with a bit of personality, or look for some fish just as easy
          going but
          > maybe more colorful?
          >
          > Debby
          > dls@...
          > in Albuquerque

        • Debby
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
            At 05:05 PM 9/4/2006 +0000, you wrote:

            >1b. Re: Stocking suggestions?
            > Posted by: "Vern Schafer" vls4820@... vern_schafer
            > Date: Sun Sep 3, 2006 10:58 am (PDT)
            >
            >Hi,
            >You or your LFS should check the Nitrate level before considering to
            >add another fish. Your Nitrogen cycle is still developing. If you
            >believe in the one inch of fish per gallon rule, you are close to
            >maximum capacity.
            >Hope that helps
            >
            >VSCHAFER

            Thanks for your tips. I'll check that nitrate tonight while I'm watching
            TV. ... [later] looks like the Tetra test method shows nitrate in my
            water is 12.5 mg/l, maybe a wee bit higher, but not as high s the next
            measurement offered, 25 mg/l. I changed out about a gallon of water this
            morning (Tuesday).

            Debby
            dls@...