Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] water change

  • patrick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 11:11 PM
      No I don't think there is such a thing as changing the water too much.....why are you changing the water so often now? if your tank is already cycled I'd say you're overstocked if your water quality readings are making you change the water that often....good luck! let me know.....later
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        Doug, in some of my aquarium I change 30% of the water every 3 days, the
        more often you change the water, the less build up of stuff in the aquarium,
        and the less the water will be different from the new one you add. So less
        stress for the fish ( aside of the one when you play in the aquarium) but
        you water 3 day in a container before use it of your tap water have
        chlorine, if chloramines you have no choice than use a chemical to remove
        it, if your able put a air stone in the water the time it’s in the
        container, it will fix some heavy metal, and help to remove the chlorine,
        and also the movement of air will add some oxygen in it.

        Gerard

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
          -hi my problem with your water changing methold is that my water is
          extremely alcoline and i am afraid that this isnt good for the fish--

        • armidillo61@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
            I ALSO HAVE 3 GOLDFISH IN A 30 GALLON TANK. I ONLY CHANGE THE WATER EVERY 3
            WEEKS AND ONLY 25% SINCE MY TANK IS ALREADY ESTABLISHED . THEY ARE ABOUT 3
            YEARS OLD. WHAT I DO IS I PUT A PLASTIC CUP HALF FILLED WITH " MORTON SYSTEM SAVER
            FORMULA PELLETS " IT'S A WATER SOFTNER AND COMES IN A BIG YELLOW BAG. I PUT
            THAT CUP IN THE CORNER OF THE TANK EVERY TIME I CHANGE THE WATER AND I HAVE A
            CRYSTAL CLEAR TANK AND THE FISH LOVE IT.
            GREETINGS SUSANNE
            I ALSO ONLY FED A LITTLE PINCH OF FOOD IN THE MORNING AND ANOTHER LITTLE
            PINCH IN THE EVENING ( BUT OTHER FOOD ) SINCE THEY LOVE DIFFERENT THINGS.

          • Gerard gagnon
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
              What is the level of alkalinity of your water ?,