quick intro

  • mhs_friendly
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2006
      just wanted to quickly post
      am the owner of a 32 gallon tank with 9 goldfish and a 10-gallon with
      4 tetras, soon to have 2 guppy buddies
      sorry if I am not using capital letters everywhere, just in a hurry ;-
      ) I am usually very tidy in my messages...... but right now my
      goldfish is sick. he doesn't move much, hides in a corner, doesn't
      eat :(( and I am desperate :(( there is nothing else, no change
      whatsoever but I will be devastated if he goes to the fish hilton
      above :(( I love him so much
      so I hope to have fun here, am a member of UniQuaria right now. I
      think this one is fun too!!
      hugs to all of you!!
      warmly,
      Maia
      www.pawradise.net
      www.geocities.com/tetrahole
    • Patrick Timlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2006
        --- mhs_friendly <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > am the owner of a 32 gallon tank with 9 goldfish [...]
        > right now my goldfish is sick. he doesn't move much,
        > hides in a corner, doesn't eat :(( and I am desperate
        > :(( there is nothing else, no change
        > whatsoever

        OK first off in my opinion I think 9 goldfish in a 32 gallon tank is
        too many. If they are small now, then you are ok, but when they get
        big, it will be too crowded.

        That said, we need some more information. How big are these fish? How
        long has this tank been setup? How often and how much and what food
        are they fed? And what is your normal maintenance routine? When was
        the last time you changed some of the water and how much did you
        change?

        Patrick
      • mhs_friendly
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2006
          > How big are these fish? == About an inch and a half + tail
          How
          > long has this tank been setup? == 7 months
          How often and how much and what food
          > are they fed? == Flakes, by Sera Goldy, and grains by Tetra
          And what is your normal maintenance routine? When was
          > the last time you changed some of the water and how much did you
          > change? == We make a water change every week + a complete tank
          cleaning once a month.

          Sorry for the lack of info. I wrote the following mail to someone -
          that'll help I think.

          I just noticed yesterday that poor Flash, a Golden Comet, who lives
          in a 32-gallon tank with a few tankmates, hid in a corner, didn't
          move much, and his back fin was folded once in a while. Then I fed
          them and he pretended to eat, although I saw he only took in air and
          ate a flake only when it was right in front of him.

          This morning, I found him sitting at the bottom of the tank, and then
          he got up and swam slowly and crooked... like a drunken man...
          Didn't eat more. His back fin is still folded most of the time. We
          turned on the air pump which seems to make him a bit better, but I
          think it's only all the activity that excited him.

          That's all I know, I haven't noticed anything else. All the others
          are fine; we had two goldfish with those symptoms and both passed
          away, that was months ago just after we got them. Flash always was
          the healthiest and handsomest of them all - and, needless to say, I
          love him dearly. I would be devastated if he passed away. Even
          worse, we are going on holiday on Thursday or Friday, and my aunt is
          going to care for the fish (we will move our two tanks to her place) -
          I don't know how she will react... Oh, should I "euthanize" him? (I
          was told that if you put them in a bowl in the freezer they will
          gradually fall asleep) I just can't stand the thought that he's
          suffering and I can't do anything.

          If I take him out of the tank, I know that it will kill him. Once we
          did that when he was aggressive towards another fish, and we just HAD
          to put him back. He was truly committing suicide by hitting his head
          on the sides.

          Help me... I will be devastated if he passes away. We had fish for
          only six months but I grew so attached to my Big Bad Bully Baby Boy
          Flashie!
        • Patrick Timlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2006
            First off let me say I completely disagree with Mike's suggestions.
            There was nothing in your post that even suggested ich or velvet and
            shotgunning medications for random diseases will usually do more harm
            than good to an already sick and stressed fish.

            >> We make a water change every week + a complete
            >> tank cleaning once a month.

            Could you give us more details on what a "complete tank cleaning" is
            you do once a month?

            Do you do any water testing, particularly ammonia and nitrite levels?
            And do you know what the pH is of the tank? Are you on a public water
            supply? Do you treat the new water with anything?

            One thing that comes to mind is with goldfish, they often can have
            digestive track problems. Constipation is one, especially if not fed
            much veggie matter as part of their normal diet, and too much air
            trapped in their system from eating dry food at the surface. Although
            the air thing usually shows up as a floating problem (not being able
            to stop bobbing at the surface).

            One thing you might try is don't feed the tank for 24 hours and see if
            after giving the fish time to clear its system if it looks any better.
            Epson salts added to the water can help with constipation issues. Then
            after 24 hours, try feeding thawed out frozen green peas. Fish love
            them, especially veggie loving fish like goldfish. You might break
            them up a bit between your fingers before feeding, but usually they
            can handle larger chunks. You should make these a regular part of
            their diet, say a couple times a week. Good roughage.

            Patrick
          • mhs_friendly
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 24, 2006
              > There was nothing in your post that even suggested ich or velvet

              You are right, I was wondering what Mike meant. :o)

              > Could you give us more details on what a "complete tank cleaning" is
              > you do once a month?

              We throw away half the water, rub the ornaments carefully, clean the
              gravel with the hose, and then hose the empty tank.

              > Do you do any water testing, particularly ammonia and nitrite
              levels?

              No, we don't test the water. So far we only let the tap water sit
              for a few days before using, but now we got a bottle of Aqua+
              dechlore and will use it from now on.

              > Constipation is one, especially if not fed
              > much veggie matter as part of their normal diet

              Great, I'll feed them chopped lettuce tomorrow!

              > the air thing usually shows up as a floating problem (not being able
              > to stop bobbing at the surface).

              We noticed this happens once in a while.

              > try feeding thawed out frozen green peas. Fish love
              > them, especially veggie loving fish like goldfish.

              Cool, we'll do that! I'm going to buy some tomorrow.

              Thanks Patrick and everybody!! Flash is already doing better - we
              put some ice in a Ziploc bag on the water, because I was told the
              fish is probably "sick" because too hot. Tomorrow we will also clean
              up the tank and add cccooollllddd water for them, thanks to our new
              bottle of Aqua+!!

              Now I was wondering - do I just put the Aqua+ in the water and put it
              straight in the tank? Or should it sit a while to take effect? If
              so how long?

              THANK YOU!!!!!!!
              Maia