betta genetics

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28 3:17 PM
      Hi Im a long time lurker first time poster. I have a question on betta
      breeding and genetics. I have a crown tail female and a double tail
      female. I would like to breed them both and am going to purchase a
      crowntail male. Can you tell me what the babies will be. I know that
      CT and CT will be 100% crowntail fry. Double tail is a recessive trait
      and have tried to research this cross breed but have not been able to
      get any info that i could use or understand. Thanks for the help.

      I currently own a 29G two 10G and two 1G. have been breeding guppies
      for double sword tails and they are giving about 75% double males. I
      also hve a few platies and a catfish, not sure what kind. lots of
      plants, mostly java fern and java moss. some crypts. and thats all
      thanks for any advise you can give.
    • astonoyu
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2006
        Hey Mary,
        How are you? there arent many double tails (DT) around because it is
        somewhat recessive. Crowntail (CT) and Halfmoon (HF) by far are more
        popular strain.
        Even HF+HF only a few fries will be HF most will be Super Delta.
        What sort of CT you have? Double ray CT or block ray CT or criss-cross
        double ray CT?
        The rarest of all CT and the most prized is criss-cross double ray CT
        aka scissor ray CT.

        At home I have:
        a Black Copper block CT and a Red HF (it is a 175 degrees Super Delta
        actually but I am trying hard to make it a HF by giving him lotsa
        morning sunshine and excercises... some say a few degrees short HF may
        become a full 180 degrees HF thru constant rigorous training)

        Regards,
        Yudi