Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Algae Problems

  • Rev. Eric Roberts
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
      Let it balance out. the Plecos and the oto cats will eat
      some of it and the plance should edge most of it out as
      they compete for nutrients. I would leave what is left
      for the algae eaters in your tank.

      Eric

      On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 23:14:35 -0500
      "klangevin@..." <klangevin@...> wrote:

      > I set up a new tank about 2 months ago. 55 gal
      >freshwater w/ plants. I
      > initially added a few zebra danios and about 20+ plants.
      >It has a coral
      > life light system w/ 4 compact flourescent bubs. after
      >the tank cycled I
      > added 4 otocinclus and a pleco. At that time I had the
      >algae that forms
      > long stands in the tank. I removed all the algae I could
      >by hand and now I
      > have more of that and the water is pea green. What else
      >can I try? Add more
      > plants?

      >Terms of Service.

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2006
        First & foremost, don't completely drain & wash your tank. If you do, it will have to cycle
        all over again. Plecs & otos are adapted for eating algal films off of surfaces, not
        filamentous (stringy) algae. You need some Siamese algae eaters (NOT Chinese algae
        eaters) or some flagfish. They love algal filaments! More plants should help too.