Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] How often to change the filter pads?

  • michelle koinzan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2006
      Never.....unless they wear out you just rinse them in tank water and reuse them. The good bacteria your tank needs to cycle ammonia and nitrites live in your filter pads and you don't want to lose that. Good luck.

      Kenne Dean <kennedean@...> wrote: Friends,

      I am installing a hanging filter to the side of my 55-gal tank as an
      assist to my normal undergravel system. In your experiences, how
      often should I change the filter pads on this filter? This is the
      first time I've used this type of a filter.

      Thanks,
      Kenne in Hawaii

      Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Freshwater aquarium

      ---------------------------------

    • Rev. Eric Roberts
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
        That would also depend on if you are using a hob that has
        a separate bio filter, like the bio wheels on MarineLabs
        filters or oither similar systems that use sponges, bio
        balls, etc... With those, while you are removing some of
        the biological filtration that has stacked out a home in
        the filter, you are not losing it all when you replace it
        because the bulk of it is in the biological filter part of
        the filter system.

        Eric