Fish Inventory

  • Iksnip@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
      Quick question, if one has a heavily planted tank, how does one actively keep track of their fish inventory. For example, say one bought 7 neon tetras...does one actively watch to make sure they all live or do you guys save that for the more exotic or personally loved fish?

      Ken

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
        --- Iksnip@... wrote:
        > Quick question, if one has a heavily planted tank, how does one
        > actively keep track of their fish inventory. For example, say one
        > bought 7 neon tetras...does one actively watch to make sure they
        > all live or do you guys save that for the more exotic or personally
        > loved fish?

        Well depends on the numbers and types. If they are fish that normally
        swim out in the open and there are not more than 6 or 8 of them, you
        can often take a quick visual count at feeding time. However if you
        have a couple dozen of one type or if you have the types of fish that
        tend to have half at any given time hidden away and not out and
        about, there really is not a way to count them withou going crazy, so
        I wouldn't bother at that point.

      • AURORA DEL DIA
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
          If you're worried about fish dying and not noticying, I know one of my large
          apple snails is GREAT at cleaning up dead bodies...so much that he cost me a
          chunk by eating dead bodies before the warranty was up on them and I could
          find them. lol Just an idea!

          Dawn
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Have your LFS check your water for anything that could be poisoning
            the fish. Also make sure you are not over feeding the fish. They
            will eat them selves to death. Their stomachs are only as big as
            their eye. And they don't know when to stop.

            I would keep the UGF, and I would also get a heater.

            Mark from Y-town

            > Speaking of small aquariums - I did get my daughter the 1 gallon
            for Christmas. But we've had problems. It's been one week and we've
            lost two bettas so far. The first one I put in the UGF (which really
            seems like an oxymoron because there was no filter at all - just a
            piece of plastic raise off the bottom w/an air filter). It was
            recommended not to have much water movement so I checked that before
            we put the first Betta in. There wasn't much - it was a very small
            filter. But, he only lived 4 days.

            > So I got another one and took out the filter this time. Well
            unfortunately he only lived 2 days. There isn't a heater in the tank
            and I wonder if the water is just too cold for them? I wonder if I
            got a small heater if we'd have better luck?

            > The guys at both LFS said the same thing. Use fresh water, treat
            it for chlorine and go ahead and put them in. So that's what I did.
            I'm not sure how you'd cycle a tank without a real filter on it.