Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Help! I did something stupid:(

  • AURORA DEL DIA
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 16, 2005
      Heard back from seller of castle...didn't use anything but water to
      rinse....s/he was really nice about it and started asking questions about
      the ammonia, so I know it is someone that really does know about fish and
      would know better than to use detergents. Good, b/c I do like the castle.:)

      Ok, husband did 50% water change, added the old dechlorinator (no Ammo Lock)
      and immediately checked water, and no change in ammonia...6.0-7.0 or maybe
      higher. I will do another one tomorrow without Ammo Lock but using another
      chlorine remover to see if helps since the problem started time I used Ammo
      Lock.

      There is no change yet in ammonia...if the change in dechlorinater doesn't
      work (using the pH regulator, SeaChem, that I used prior to this problem)
      and things not okay when return from vacation on Tuesday (leaving Sunday),
      will do a 75% change and add the Bio Spira.

      Fish at least are still acting okay....dancing around...except one is
      gasping now. ARGH!

      How does that sound?

      Dawn
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 16, 2005
        --- AURORA DEL DIA <gleehorse@...> wrote:
        > Ok, husband did 50% water change, added the old dechlorinator (no
        > Ammo Lock) and immediately checked water, and no change in
        > ammonia...6.0-7.0 or maybe higher.

        See that is what I find confusing. If you have 6-7 ppm and then
        change half the water, then it is simple math. If you remove half the
        water, you remove half the ammonia. Assuming you then put in ammonia
        free water, your ppm should be half of what they were before the
        water change.

        Have you had your local pet store do an ammonia test on your water
        and confirmed the same reading? Perhaps the test kit is wonky?

      • ladyelf
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 16, 2005
          Just to interject here, I never used ammo-lock, didn't like it and it didnt
          work for me. I always used amquel when I had an emergency ammonia spike. It
          also binds nitrites now too and converts them.

          Deb
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 16, 2005
            Perhaps the problem is simply overfeeding. Fast the fish for a few days while doing large
            regular water changes, and see what happens with the ammonia levels.

            Kevin
          • AURORA DEL DIA
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 17, 2005
              Still going down...thanks again for everyone's help! At least now I think
              they'll be okay for 48 hours while I'm gone...only missing 2 days of water
              changes. The new bacteria filter should be kicking in about then hopefully.
              I've felt better than I have in days!:)

              Dawn