Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Help! I did something stupid:(
- Heard back from seller of castle...didn't use anything but water to
rinse....s/he was really nice about it and started asking questions about
the ammonia, so I know it is someone that really does know about fish and
would know better than to use detergents. Good, b/c I do like the castle.:)
Ok, husband did 50% water change, added the old dechlorinator (no Ammo Lock)
and immediately checked water, and no change in ammonia...6.0-7.0 or maybe
higher. I will do another one tomorrow without Ammo Lock but using another
chlorine remover to see if helps since the problem started time I used Ammo
There is no change yet in ammonia...if the change in dechlorinater doesn't
work (using the pH regulator, SeaChem, that I used prior to this problem)
and things not okay when return from vacation on Tuesday (leaving Sunday),
will do a 75% change and add the Bio Spira.
Fish at least are still acting okay....dancing around...except one is
gasping now. ARGH!
How does that sound?
- --- AURORA DEL DIA <gleehorse@...> wrote:
> Ok, husband did 50% water change, added the old dechlorinator (noSee that is what I find confusing. If you have 6-7 ppm and then
> Ammo Lock) and immediately checked water, and no change in
> ammonia...6.0-7.0 or maybe higher.
change half the water, then it is simple math. If you remove half the
water, you remove half the ammonia. Assuming you then put in ammonia
free water, your ppm should be half of what they were before the
Have you had your local pet store do an ammonia test on your water
and confirmed the same reading? Perhaps the test kit is wonky?
- Just to interject here, I never used ammo-lock, didn't like it and it didnt
work for me. I always used amquel when I had an emergency ammonia spike. It
also binds nitrites now too and converts them.
----- Original Message -----
From: "AURORA DEL DIA" <gleehorse@...>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 6:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Help! I did something stupid:(
> Ok, plan revised...now I'm wondering if the Ammo-Lock is doing
> something....I have read a few places it will starve the bacteria.
> So I'll do the water change and go back to what I was using before. I
> doubt it's the castle (though I emailed the guy I got it from to make sure
> he didn't use detergents on it) so I'm leaving that in. If it is the Ammo
> Lock...I'm insisting on a refund and will probably even call the
> manufacturer. But at this point, I'd really like an answer!
> Yahoo! Groups Links
- Perhaps the problem is simply overfeeding. Fast the fish for a few days while doing large
regular water changes, and see what happens with the ammonia levels.
- Still going down...thanks again for everyone's help! At least now I think
they'll be okay for 48 hours while I'm gone...only missing 2 days of water
changes. The new bacteria filter should be kicking in about then hopefully.
I've felt better than I have in days!:)