Nemotodes coming out of guppy anus - treatment?

  • Emily Tenczar
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2005
      If it isn't one thing it's something else. My 20 gal tropical tank has been having problems for months, and tonight it occured to me that the guppies are infected with some disgusting nematodes...Camallanus I think, or something similar. Although the danios don't seem to be affected, they are all in the same tank so of course it's possible. I wonder if this has anything to do with the kinked spine and constant fin rot in danios?

      Anyway, I've been giving them the Jungle anti-parasite food for 2 weeks (3 days on, 4 days off); will this work and how long will it take to clear up? I read about fenbendazole and levamisole, and also read that the fish sometimes die anyway after the treatments because they have dead nemetodes rotting in the gut.

      If I could get some opinions about the best way to tackle this problem, that would be great!
      Thanks
      Emily