Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Help-Ammonia ?- new member

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 15, 2005
      --- shruley <shruley@...> wrote:
      > We added a bit more bio-spira, did water changes,
      > reduced amount of food. Well, that was about
      > 3 weeks ago and my ammonia reading is still at .3.

      Any chance you are using Amquel as your water conditioner?

    • Sarah Ruley
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2005
        Nope I'm not but could explain?

        Sarah

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2005
          There are two basic types of ammonia tests. Amquel happens to have a
          known incompatibility with one of those tests and will give false
          positives. Of course, as Murphy would have it, the test it has the
          trouble with is the more common one sold.

          So many people using Amquel and the more common type of ammonia test
          *think* they have this elevated constant ammonia in their tanks and
          spend a lot of time and money to try and bring the levels down, when
          in fact it is simply a false positive caused by the water
          conditioner.

          Even though you are not using Amquel, it might be a good idea to test
          your water conditioner to make sure. Start with a one gallon jug of
          whatever water you use in your tanks treated the same way you do
          before adding it to your tank, EXCEPT do not add the water
          conditioner yet. Do an ammonia test on that water. Do you get a
          reading? If not, NOW add your water conditioner as you normally do
          (hence doing this test with a gallon jug since the directions usually
          tell you to add so many drops per gallon). Mix it up and do another
          ammonia test. Do you get a reading now? If you do now where you
          didn't before, it could be another false positive issue.

          Patrick