Re: New Member --question.

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
      Brad

      I would hold off for right now on adding any more fish, although I
      have found that my black skirts do well in groups of 6 or more. Some
      of the other tetras should be fine with your black skirt and as for
      your request on color and sprucing I would suggest Serpae Tetras
      again in a school of 6. That will pretty much max out a ten gallon
      tanks capacity for fish. The reason I recommend holding off on
      adding fish is that the tank needs time to cycle and to make sure you
      wont have an ammonia spike. You will need to add the fish to your
      system slowly to ensure you do not overload the tanks bacteria. If
      you are really looking to do shoals of tetras I would recommend
      getting a 29 gallon tank for a few reasons. The more capacity you
      have the more room for small errors without killing off your fish and
      the increased capacity will allow you flexibility in how many of
      these great little fish you keep. Be especially careful not to
      overfeed your fish with the ten gallon. You probably only need to
      offer the three black skirts about 6 flakes or kernels of fish food
      once a day for now.

      Thats my tidbit
      Rob

      --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "capricorn01984"
      <capricorn01984@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings!
      >
      > Just joined the list. My name is Brad, I reside in Florida.
      >
      > I currently have a two gallon tank in my office with three zebra
      > danios in it. I recently purchased a 10 gallon tank for my living
      > room, set it up and let it run this past weekend, and today added 3
      > Black Skirted Tetras to get it started.
      >
      > A couple questions for those more experianced than I...
      >
      > For one, Should my Black Skirted Tetras be fine in their school of
      > three, or should I add one more when I get the chance.......
      >
      > keeping that in mind.......I'd also like to add some fish other
      than
      > Black Skirts in..... So, what would compat well with the current
      > residents....... I'd like something lively, and with some color
      > to add some spruce to the tank.....
      >
      > All input is greatly appreciated
      >
      > Brad
    • capricorn01984
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
        Hi Rob,

        Thanks for the input. I realize not to add any fish now because of
        the cycle, I was going to add more tuesday or wednesday. I wont be
        upgrading to a 29 gallon, as I dont have room for one. So i will be
        keeping with my ten gallon.

        Thanks!
        Brad

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"

      • Carla Romere
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
          I remember the cycle on my tank took 3-4 weeks to run its course...

          capricorn01984 <capricorn01984@...> wrote:Hi Rob,

          <ltrepeter2000@y...> wrote:
          > Brad
          >
          > I would hold off for right now on adding any more fish, although I
          > have found that my black skirts do well in groups of 6 or more.
          Some
          > of the other tetras should be fine with your black skirt and as
          for
          > your request on color and sprucing I would suggest Serpae Tetras
          > again in a school of 6. That will pretty much max out a ten
          gallon
          > tanks capacity for fish. The reason I recommend holding off on
          > adding fish is that the tank needs time to cycle and to make sure
          you
          > wont have an ammonia spike. You will need to add the fish to your
          > system slowly to ensure you do not overload the tanks bacteria.
          If
          > you are really looking to do shoals of tetras I would recommend
          > getting a 29 gallon tank for a few reasons. The more capacity you
          > have the more room for small errors without killing off your fish
          and
          > the increased capacity will allow you flexibility in how many of
          > these great little fish you keep. Be especially careful not to
          > overfeed your fish with the ten gallon. You probably only need to
          > offer the three black skirts about 6 flakes or kernels of fish
          food
          > once a day for now.
          >
          > Thats my tidbit
          > Rob
          >
          > --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "capricorn01984"
          > <capricorn01984@y...> wrote:
          > > Greetings!
          > >
          > > Just joined the list. My name is Brad, I reside in Florida.
          > >
          > > I currently have a two gallon tank in my office with three zebra
          > > danios in it. I recently purchased a 10 gallon tank for my
          living
          > > room, set it up and let it run this past weekend, and today
          added 3
          > > Black Skirted Tetras to get it started.
          > >
          > > A couple questions for those more experianced than I...
          > >
          > > For one, Should my Black Skirted Tetras be fine in their school
          of
          > > three, or should I add one more when I get the chance.......
          > >
          > > keeping that in mind.......I'd also like to add some fish other
          > than
          > > Black Skirts in..... So, what would compat well with the
          current
          > > residents....... I'd like something lively, and with some
          color
          > > to add some spruce to the tank.....
          > >
          > > All input is greatly appreciated
          > >
          > > Brad

          Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Freshwater aquarium

          ---------------------------------

          Carla

          "We all get heavier as we get older because, there's a lot more information in our heads. So I'm not fat, I'm just really intelligent and my head couldn't hold any more so it started filling up the rest of me!"
          ~ Author Unknown

        • capricorn01984
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18, 2005
            Yes, I have heard it varies from tank to tank. But, I tested, and had
            my water tested, and it was safe to put a few fishes in. I'll continue
            to moniter it of course.

            Thanks for all the advice already given, and yet to come.

            Brad

            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Carla Romere

            capricorn01984 <capricorn01984@y...> wrote:Hi Rob,

> [...]
            > living
            > > > room, set it up and let it run this past weekend, and today
            > added 3
            > > > Black Skirted Tetras to get it started.
            > > >
            > > > A couple questions for those more experianced than I...
            > > >
            > > > For one, Should my Black Skirted Tetras be fine in their school
            > of
            > > > three, or should I add one more when I get the chance.......
            > > >
            > > > keeping that in mind.......I'd also like to add some fish other
            > > than
            > > > Black Skirts in..... So, what would compat well with the
            > current
            > > > residents....... I'd like something lively, and with some
            > color
            > > > to add some spruce to the tank.....
            > > >
            > > > All input is greatly appreciated
            > > >
            > > > Brad

            > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Freshwater aquarium

            Service.