Baby fish

  • Marcia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2005
      Hi group,

      I've had three fancy tail guppies in my tank for a while, 2 M and 1 F, and I think the female is
      pregnant. She's gotten quite big around the middle over the last several days, so now I'm nor
      sure if I should leave her in the main part of the tank or put her into the breeder. Also, my
      red platy gave birth to 14 baby platies the other day, and I have them in the breeder now. I
      don't know if I can put the mommy guppie into the net breeder without her eating all the
      baby platies. But it was so hard getting the babies out of the tank to put them in the
      breeder, that it would be easier for me if the mommy guppy gave birth in the breeder and
      then I just had to move her. Advice is appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Marcia
    • fuzzybpebble
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6 5:53 PM
        I do not know anything about platys, but guppies will eat their own
        babies if they are not in a breeder that separates the fry from the
        mother. I have had two sucessful births with the breeders that are
        v-shaped and have a place for the babies to live. This can also be
        used as a growth tank and a hospital tank. Your guppies will birth
        in them if given no other choice. I would go to your LPS/LFS and
        get one for her. They are very reusable and very easy to use. It
        will also keep the other fish away from the fry and the mother.
        Just some advice.

        Bethany

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Marcia" <marciaww@y...>