Can a Pleco survive in a pond?

  • karima_allison
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2005
      We have two Plecos that are about 12 inches long at this point. They
      have obviously outgrown the 50 gallon aquarium they share with a
      bunch of other fish.

      My local fish store (a real fish store)said they would take them and
      they have a pond they put them in.

      We also have a pond in a beautiful park nearby. It has fish and
      ducks, etc.

      My question is: can they survive in a pond? We live in the Midwest
      and the winters get very cold here.

      Thanks for any help on this. We have to find them a new home and
      want it to be a happy one for them. :-)

      ~Karima
    • Detrick Merz
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2005
        They're Amazon River fish, and surely would never see temperatures
        anywhere near as cold as much of the Midwest US gets. Perhaps the
        store's pond is an indoor pond, and thus heated?

        -detrick

        karima_allison wrote:
        > We have two Plecos that are about 12 inches long at this point. They
        > have obviously outgrown the 50 gallon aquarium they share with a
        > bunch of other fish.
        >
        > My local fish store (a real fish store)said they would take them and
        > they have a pond they put them in.
        >
        > We also have a pond in a beautiful park nearby. It has fish and
        > ducks, etc.
        >
        > My question is: can they survive in a pond? We live in the Midwest
        > and the winters get very cold here.
        >
        > Thanks for any help on this. We have to find them a new home and
        > want it to be a happy one for them. :-)
        >
        > ~Karima
      • Nimish Mathur
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2005
          If winters are cold, plecos will not survive in the pond then.

          Ponds in colder regions are cold water fish that have a slower metabolic
          rate and can live in colder conditions where their body can withstand slower
          metabolic rates. Plecos are not designed to have such slow rates and will
          eventually perish.

          Also, don't think about putting the fish in any pond that does not belong to
          you as it will be illegal. If the fish store takes it from you, then that
          solves all the trouble.

          Nim

          _____