Newbie needs help treating a sick fish

  • leekaiwen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2005
      Greetings, all. Complete newbie here.

      Just bought a small, 1-gallon, freshwater aquarium a couple of days
      ago, and I'm in trouble, because I didn't really look before I leapt.
      First, I didn't cycle the aquarium, just filled it with tap water,
      dropped in some AquaSafe, and six fish, which I'm pretty sure is
      overpopulated, despite the fact that two separate aquarium store
      owners didn't seem to think so.

      Yesterday, the water began clouding up (white), so I changed about
      three-quarters of it. This morning it was getting cloudy again, so I
      changed about a third of it again. So far, it has remained fairly
      clear, but I still have a bit of foam around the edges, and a few
      bubble clusters floating around the top. I tried to buy a testing kit
      today, but one store was sold out and the other was closed.

      And now my fish are starting to look not so good. Unfortunately, I
      don't even know what kind of fish I have (can anyone point to a good
      site for IDing fish?). The one that's looking unhealthy is about 3
      inches, long in shape and gold in color, with dorsal and anal fins
      that run from about mid-body back along most of the length of the body.

      It's color is changing, to a brownish color, with patches of the
      original gold still showing through; almost as if it's crusting over.
      It's become lethargic, just hanging, head slightly down, in one place
      with its fins clamped.

      Any help would be appreciated.
    • Nimish Mathur
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2005
        Speechless.

        3" of a single fish in a 1 gallon tank is over populated. Let alone more
        then that.

        Your best bet is to take the fish back to the fish store and find someone
        who will not sell you fish until they know that your tank is 4 weeks old.
        The fish are most probably all going to die. You could have gotten away with
        this mistake if the tank was a 100 gallon but not a 1 gallon.

        Either you take the fish back, or change 100% of the water every day for 3-4
        months but these fish will not survive more then a few months in such a
        small tank.

        I guess, you have already learned a bit about how to cycle an aquarium or
        what it is. If not, we can explain here.

        Good luck but I cannot suggest anything more then this to make the fish
        live. Take them back or 100% water changes every day.

        Nim

        _____