Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Sealing wood and rocks

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2005
      --- Eric Miner <eminer1254@...> wrote:
      > I plan on keeping Panda Corys, Harlequins and Diamond Tetras (I may
      > change that to another type of tetra). My water is close to
      > neutral.

      OK so all the fish you want to keep tend to be acidic, lower pH
      preferring fish. But also, are not picky about water conditions. So
      unless you were trying to breed them, these are fish that all will do
      ok in most common tap water that avoids extremes.

      To get back to your questions, if the wood lowers the pH and colors
      the water, this will actually be greatly appreciated by the fish you
      are going to keep. The water discoloration is a personal preference
      and some people hate it while others try to encourage it. If you
      don't like it, then yes, activated carbon will help remove the color.
      But keep in mind you will have to keep replacing the carbon regularly
      to keep the color away. But again that depends on the wood you get.