Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] question on guppies, danios, rosies and goldfish

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2005
      --- Emily Tenczar <bababanana@...> wrote:
      > I'd like to have the rosy reds cohabit with the goldfish because
      > they both do well at cooler temperatures (no heater required)
      > but I found that the salinity preferences are quite different.
      > The tank currently has 1 tbsp/6 gal which is the amount of
      > salt advised for goldfish. I don't want
      > to kill the rosy reds already if i added too much salt.

      So stop adding salt. Goldfish have no requirement for salt. Sure some
      people like to add salt and some people think you HAVE to add salt to
      many **FRESHWATER** tropical fish tanks, but for the most part, most
      of those species have no requirement for salt and that includes
      goldfish.

      > I also found that danios have similar salt requirements to rosy
      reds,

      Right, both species have no need for salt in their water... if that
      is what you meant.

      > So bascially, how can I modify the conditions so that goldfish and
      > rosy reds will do fine together,

      Stop adding salt would do it.

      > and would the danios be better
      > with the goldfish and rosies, or with the livebearers?

      Are these fancy goldfish, you know all bulbous with fancy fins and in
      a nutshell, fish that do not gracefully swim? If so, they are best
      kept by themselves because normal fish can typically outswim them.
      This leads to two problems. One, they find it hard to compete for
      food and may not get enough to eat. And two, if one of the faster
      swimmers decides to start picking on one of the goldfish, they can
      not easily escape and become sitting ducks. Certainly not something
      you want to happen to your goldfish.

      If they are normal goldfish or comets, then they probably would do ok
      with the Fathead minnows (aka "Rosy Reds"), which are a fish native
      to North America.