Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Lighting - How many watts/gallon?

  • MBethke
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2005
      Hey, sounds like a fun job.

      For my 50 gallon I'm running a set (2 bulbs each) of three 48 in, 40 watt
      bulbs. One set is the full spectrum white which start at 7 am. At 12 noon I
      turn the full spectrum "Pinks" on, then off go the pinks at about 4 pm and
      whites off at 7 pm.
      The last set is blue atinics (or whatever they call them, they are the moon
      light blue bulbs) anyways , they are only off between 10 pm to dawn. With
      this set-up I don't get algae anymore and the plants are doing much better.

      Oh and the fish like them, I have the snakehead calvas (bichors) and chinese
      dragon Eels, many flying fox, some pencil fish, paradise fish , many
      gouramis and scats and cory cats. If you wonder , yes , some gourami's come
      up in pieces when the lights come on