Filtration - How many gallons/hour?

  • Eric Miner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2005
      Here's another question….I wish I could take you all out for dinner to
      pay you back for all your help.

      I'm sold on the Marienland Emperor Bio-Wheel filter system. The
      Bio-Wheel makes good sense (I could be swayed if there is good
      reason). I have two questions:

      I've read that the tank volume should be filtered four times an hour,
      is this true? If it is I'm thinking of getting tow filters that handle
      125gl/hr each, this gets me close to 4 times an hour for my 55 gal
      tank. I've read that if you have plants too much filtration can remove
      nutrients. The other alternative is to got below 4 times an hour or to
      move up to six times an hour….too much in my limited opinion.

      My second question has to do with aeration. These filter are the type
      that `splash' the water back into the tank. Is this good enough for
      sufficient aeration or should I also get an air pump and stone (too
      bad my old home brewing stone is made of metal)

      Thanks yet again for your help,

      Eric